Hello. We have a spayed 6 year old Lab Mastiff mix. She has had absolutely zero health problems her whole life. But, recently, she has had alopecia (hair loss) in a small patch on her back & two nipples that appear to be cracked and itchy. Here are the deets:
- Doesn't seem to be a food allergy (she eats raw and we've tried eliminating multiple things)
- Not environmental in the home (no new cleaners introduced into the home, etc)
- There is construction going in the park she plays in but no other dogs are showing symptoms (as far as we know)
- Doesn't appear to have fleas
- Indoor cat is completely unaffected
- Spot with hair loss has dry flaky skin but didn't originally have open sores or irritation
- We soaked it with a shampoo that is supposed to help with mange and suddenly the spot was red and irritated
- Now that we've let it rest a couple days, the redness has gone down but she now has a little spot that's cracked likely due to itching it
- We have since given her spring dose of Bravecto (maybe that will help with this if it's a mange issue?)
- The nipples are only bloody & cracked on the nipple - the surrounding area is not swollen and they don't appear sore to the touch
- She has had an irritated nipple before that seemed to clear on it's own but has now returned (we thought it was chaffing from her winter jacket)
- No reason to think the nipple issues are a result of mastitis
We're not against going to the vet if we need to but it doesn't appear to be an urgent emergency so this might be something we can sort out here. Especially since itchiness is such a broad symptom. I'm also thinking the Bravecto may help whatever this might be.
The easiest answer to me is mange. Anyone have any thoughts?