Hi All, and many thanks for your time reading this..... but if I may give a very brief summary of a fictitious place where three events have taken place.
The first two events happened when two neighbours had a row. The next day the one neighbour with a dog ended up at the vet with the dog bleeding from both ends (tried to put it as delicately as poss...). The neighbour could was insured and the vet successfully got the dog through both incidents. I gather it had been primarily been a symptomatic cure as there wasn't time for blood testes etc. However the dog is perfectly happy. As blood tests following the incident for the purpose of identifying poisoning would not be covered by his insurance, he did not have the money to pay for it himself. (Dog insurance would not cover it).
The third and saddest incident was another neighbour who's dog fell ill on Friday and died on Sunday. They were waiting for a vet appointment.....
However there was a question on the vaccination history on the dead dog, although the other dog had a full vaccination history.
A final detail, the unfortunate dog had also been chewing a butchers bone!
So, it could be the first two incidents were caused by a young dog eating something in the garden...... The rows had nothing to do with it..... It could be a localised virus infection and the young dog had some immunity due to it's vaccinations.
The 'resting' dog could have been fatally injured by the same something that the first dog had found.... Or it could have contracted the same local virus and her lack of vaccinations was the fatal key. Or finally a complete coincidence and she was killed by a fragment of bone.....
Obviously this is a hypothetical scenario, in a fictitious place, but just imagine you lived in that place.... not that you could.... but you happened to live there, with your 18 month old (symptom free) female crossbreed who had puppy vaccinations and very recently had her annual boosters. Would you consider having a blood test done, if so, what blood test to ask for?
Would you just have her checked over by the vet in case or what would you do?