First off, I would like to say, thank you in advance for any advice and sharing any experiences, but please leave any hate at the door. I am dealing with a major dilemma, but may have a possible alternative. I am posting on here for advise, preferably from people who have experienced the same situation or something similar.
I have two dogs, Lab/Shepherd mixes, that will be 13 years old in January, brother and sister (from the same litter), brought home when my daughter was 5 yrs old, and have never been seperated for more than 2 days (and after an hr, refuse to eat and cause mischief until reunited). I have had the male into the vet a few times over the last couple months. He is at the age that arthritis has been affecting him, lipomas have been showing up, significant weight loss, and most recently peeing all the time with basically no control over his bladder. He was put on antibiotics about six weeks ago for a bladder infection. The signs that something was very wrong were: having to go outside to pee every 30-90 minutes (if not right when needed, he would pee in the house), constant whining (especially when needing to go outside), walking around the yard trying to pee at least 7 times, and every time he would pee and then remain in that position, not moving, for multiple minutes like he doesn't think that he's done. The vet said his kidney functions were fine, but he had a bad bladder infection and had lost a significant amount of weight. The vet prescribed an antibiotic for him to take; however stated that at his age, it was possible that he had a bladder tumor, and those could show up in the lab work appearing like an infection. We gave him the meds, his frequency slowed for a little while; however, we noticed that he was dribbling all over and would leave wet spots when he would get up from laying down. I took him back in. They said that there was still infection and prescribed another antibiotic. The provider stated that the one prescribed was significantly stronger, and if this one didn't help for the infection, nothing would. Well, he has 2 days left of antibiotics and his follow up is on Tues. His current status is: due to the uncontrolled peeing and dribbling he is wearing diapers at all times, he is whining a bit less, he doesn't demand going out as often; however, even if we let him out every 45-60 minutes (which is hard with a family that works and goes to school) his diapers are saturated with enough urine to not reuse, and if he tries to sleep for a few hours (at most 2 hours), his diaper is completely soaked and he has leaked through on whatever he is laying on. In addition, when I let him outside, he still stays in the peeing position for multiple minutes and then tries to pee more multiple times after that. The poor guy is super embarrassed/ashamed and obviously in some significant pain. As hard as it is for me, I have made the decision to talk to the vet on Tues about euthanasia for him. I do not feel that it is fair to let him suffer.
Now, here is the biggest dilemma... Shortly after we brought our pups home, my late husband, daughter, and I all agreed that when the time came for one, we would put them down together because they are inseparable. This is exceptionally hard because she is not really showing any significant health issues. She has the normal slow moving, selective hearing of an older dog. She has been staying by her brother's side and cuddling with him a lot (no not normal). My daughter and I are having the dilemma of keeping the deal with my late husband, or not. My boyfriend doesn't even consider putting her down at the same time as an option. Keep in mind, whenever they are separated for more than an hr, they stop eating and mope. So, do I put them down together, or only put him down taking the chance that she will fall into a deep depression living by herself without her brother?
With that said..... I am also trying to decide two other major decisions that follow the first.
If we do not put her down with him, do I do what I feel is right, by having the vet come to our home and let her be here for it, or do I take him to the clinic without her around? I have read in multiple threads that some people recommend letting the "housemate" (I haven't seen much on siblings from the same litter) be there to witness it and mourn before taking the deceased dog away. Some people feel it's good closure and gives them a better idea as to where their "housemate" has gone. These opinions are for the non-aggressive pets. My boyfriend and I do agree that she would listen, sit with us, and not try to attack the vet.
And lastly, if I decide not to put her down, would it be beneficial to get a new puppy to introduce a few days before the appointment for putting down her brother? I have been considering getting a Doxie-Poo (I have read that a IF introducing another animal prior to or after the death of a housemate to choose a different breed, type, or gender) to introduce a few days before, so she will have a friends for when her brother passes. The reason for the choice of a smaller type dog is that when I have previously pet sat for people, both him and her do not seem to mind small sized dogs. Like I said above, I worried she is going to go downhill quick or starve herself alone.
Thank you again for any input. Again, please don't leave hate and don't pull the "if one of your kids died, would you do the other?" Have a good day.