How long would you delay spaying a large female?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

How long would you delay spaying a large female?

This is a discussion on How long would you delay spaying a large female? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; In some quarters, the opinion is that spaying too soon may produce cancer in females, and possibly have negative impact on bone development. I've also ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 03:20 PM
  #1
Member
 
esuastegui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How long would you delay spaying a large female?

In some quarters, the opinion is that spaying too soon may produce cancer in females, and possibly have negative impact on bone development. I've also read/heard concerns about weight gain being more likely once spayed. Not sure if one can do anything about the latter (if it's a true concern: some call it a myth), but how many months/cycles should one wait before spaying? That is, assuming there is really a concern about spaying before the first cycle. Is there?

Last edited by esuastegui; 09-15-2016 at 03:26 PM.
esuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:38 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you do a search you can see that there are health issues involved with both spaying and not spaying so it is more of a complex choice than one might first think. I may choose not to spay at all.
Lucillle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 PM
  #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I personally won't spay or neuter another dog... Responsible dog owners should not be frowned upon for it.

Cutting a dog before sexual maturity can create alot of issues, and set them up for failures down the road. Jagger is pure, neutered young, he was a bit tall for a pin - and I know he's got adrenal issues that are creating havok in his body - including secondary hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is on the rise.
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Mesonoxian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After lots of personal research, I had decided not to spay my current dog. Last summer she needed an emergency spay for pyometra, but she was just shy of 9 years old. I also expected the weight gain, but she's actually swung the other way, it's become more challenging to keep her up at a good weight.

My future dogs will likely be altered at some point in their lives, but I plan to wait until 2 years at the earliest, and possibly later depending on each breed's rate of growth plate closure. Do some general research as well as breed specific, especially if there are legitimate studies and/or peer-reviewed articles available.

If you're wanting no chance of an "oops" pregnancy, but still want the benefits of having hormone production more normal, you may want to read up on and consider an OSS as opposed to a traditional spay.
Mesonoxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 AM
  #5
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It depends on what you are trying to prevent, and the biggest with females is mammary cancer. Last time I researched it, and it's been around a year since i did, the research was showing that the chance of mammary cancer in a dog that was spayed before it's first heat was practically 0, and the chance goes up each heat thereafter, until there is no benefit in having the dog spayed to prevent mammary cancer after, I think it was, 5 heats.

Now you can have an ovary sparing spay, that's where the vet takes the uterus but leaves the ovaries so that the dog has the benefits of the hormones, but does not have the risk of getting pyometra or pregnant. The drawback with that type of spay is that the risk of mammary cancer is still there since it's a cancer that is tied to hormones, so you'd need to keep an eye on her for that. The Pros of Partial Spay - IVC Journal

Poking around I found this article. It weighs the pros and cons of spaying and neutering, Should I Spay or Neuter my Dog and If So, at What Age? - Eastlake Veterinary Hospital

Personally I like to wait as till a female dog is at least 6 month of age and try and spay her before the first heat, but at most let her go through one heat, for males I like to wait till they are 8 months to a year old. If I ever do get another puppy I may consider doing the ovary sparing spay, or a vasectomy, I'm still weighting the pros and cons not it.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:22 AM
  #6
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
kmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,910
Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If given the choice I like to wait until joints have fused. For a large breed that would mean spaying after 18 months.

But ultimately it's a personal choice. One that can vary widely. So do some research. Talk with your vet. And make the decision about when and even type of spay you feel is best for you and your dog.
kmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM
  #7
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
kmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,910
Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some dogs do gain weight after altering, but it's due to a decreased metabolism (literally body needs less calories), and no change in food intake. Just be aware of the possibilty and adjust meal size if you see a weight increase.
kmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:02 AM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There are health risks and benefits to both ways. And dogs will get health issues no matter if they are fixed or not. But getting them fixed makes the likelihood of accidental puppies 0, so I will always do it. Plus I have been through pyrometra with one of my dogs, and seen it many other times, and I won't risk that. Generally with large breed dogs, it's recommended to wait until 1 1/2 or 2, so that their growing is done.
ChessaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spaying and delay of growth plate closure, your opinion Lucillle Dog Health 14 06-06-2016 09:27 PM
Is 10 km walk too long for a large 8 month old dog? Rivonia Dog Health 5 02-09-2016 02:15 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.