Help!

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Help!

This is a discussion on Help! within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; My 10.year old GSD has been biting his feet till almost bleeding! He is eating taste Of the wild dog food after a switch from ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 06:22 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help!

My 10.year old GSD has been biting his feet till almost bleeding! He is eating taste Of the wild dog food after a switch from Science diet about 6 weeks ago. Allergies seem to be getting worse not better. He is taking benadryl up to twice a day now per vet. Not helping his feet!! Any suggestions??
Rhawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:55 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
McCourt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe a cone until the feet heal up? Dogs tend to lick at wounds and it will not heal up if you can't stop him from licking the area. Why the change in diet?
McCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:55 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It may not be food, it may be environmental allergies. Try a bath, scrubbing the feet well and Epsom salt soaks.
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
as mentioned above, may not be diet related (and statistically, it is NOT diet related). Benadryl is a fairly wimpy and often useless drug in canines. When it works, that's great, but it is also rare. Most canine allergies do not respond to any antihistamines at all. You will probably have to try a different approach, though cleaning the feet regularly with a soothing shampoo is not a bad suggestion (though I would avoid 'scrubbing' the feet). If he is chewing to the point of bleeding, a temporary cone may be necessary while other meds can take effect (Apoquel, oral or topical cortisone, topical cleansing etc.).
lzrddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 AM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a vet Appointment on Thursday so hopefully I can get it figured out. He had been an outside dog up until a month ago until I moved, and he spends most of the time inside now. When we r at home and at night. Working on all day, but he gets stressed being in new place without someone around. Could it be stress related?? His ears r bad as well. Very itchy.. I thought about a come as well
Rhawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:38 AM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhawnie View Post
I have a vet Appointment on Thursday so hopefully I can get it figured out. He had been an outside dog up until a month ago until I moved, and he spends most of the time inside now. When we r at home and at night. Working on all day, but he gets stressed being in new place without someone around. Could it be stress related?? His ears r bad as well. Very itchy.. I thought about a come as well
Do you think he may have fleas?
Doppelganger0337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:32 AM
  #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't think so. Had some flea stuff that is suppose to last 3 months from.vet. and has Ben to groomer, who did not see any fleas. Said coat was dry..
Rhawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 AM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,418
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhawnie View Post
I have a vet Appointment on Thursday so hopefully I can get it figured out. He had been an outside dog up until a month ago until I moved, and he spends most of the time inside now. When we r at home and at night. Working on all day, but he gets stressed being in new place without someone around. Could it be stress related?? His ears r bad as well. Very itchy.. I thought about a come as well
It could be stress. Are there other signs of stress? Does he bark while alone? Get into things? Chew things? Is he getting the same amount of physical and mental exercise he was before the move?

Glad he's seeing a vet to take care of the current issues with his feet and ears. Sounds like he's having a hard time right now.
cookieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 AM
  #9
Senior Member
 
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhawnie View Post
I don't think so. Had some flea stuff that is suppose to last 3 months from.vet. and has Ben to groomer, who did not see any fleas. Said coat was dry..
If the coat/skin is dry, you can add some fish oil to the diet. Also, as far as antihistamines go, I use bee pollen on my one who has environmental allergies and it has worked wonders for him. Its worth a try for yours as well.
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 AM
  #10
Senior Member
 
naturalfeddogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Talladega, Alabama
Posts: 1,224
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzrddr View Post
as mentioned above, may not be diet related (and statistically, it is NOT diet related). Benadryl is a fairly wimpy and often useless drug in canines. When it works, that's great, but it is also rare. Most canine allergies do not respond to any antihistamines at all. You will probably have to try a different approach, though cleaning the feet regularly with a soothing shampoo is not a bad suggestion (though I would avoid 'scrubbing' the feet). If he is chewing to the point of bleeding, a temporary cone may be necessary while other meds can take effect (Apoquel, oral or topical cortisone, topical cleansing etc.).
By "scrubbing", I mean rubbing enough to be able to wash out allergens from the the skin and hair around the feet. You have to get through the hair to be sure you get all the way to the skin. Using finger tips (not nails) is plenty. That's how I bathe mine to get all the junk out all the way to the skin. It works well. No scrubbing pads, wire brushes or anything. Just to clarify....
And both bee pollen and spirulina are antihistamines that work well for dogs....

Last edited by naturalfeddogs; 10-12-2016 at 10:03 AM.
naturalfeddogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.