I am posting on this forum for the first time.
Our dog is in a hospital and probably he won't make it.
He is a 10.5 year old Golden Retriever.
Never been seriously ill, always well taken care off.
5 days ago he started coughing a bit and he would vomit everything he ate.
There were huge amount of white phlegm/foam when he would vomit.
He was taken to vet immediately.
He had similar things happening in the past when he would eat something bad while on the walk.
He was given medicine for gastritis.
His condition was not improving, so we taken him back to see the vet.
Blood work was done (everything fine).
X-Ray of stomach was done, everything looked fine.
He received infusion.
He was scheduled for gastroscopy next day.
Next day he couldn't even walk and he was basically half dead.
Then the vet suspected heart and lungs, and X-RAY was done.
His heart very large and weak, and lots of fluid in the lungs.
Also there were some changes to the lungs and next to the heart (possibly tumors, but vet couldn't confirm).
He was non responsive.
He immediately received heart medication and that stabilized him.
2 days passed since then, and he is not improving.
He is stable, but still coughing and vomiting white phlegm. Cant stand or walk.
He is suffering
We are all devastated, but if things do not improve until tomorrow, I am afraid we will have to put him to sleep.
Please I need some advice on this situation.
Last couple of days I am reading about all this.
Unfortunately our vet did not catch heart problems in the past!
This is basically the first time our dog is sick and now we are losing him.
I am reading lots about heart failure in dogs, and can't really understand why is he vomiting excessive amount of white sticky phlegm?
Is there something the vet is missing?
I've read that excessive vomit is main symptom of chronic gastritis, so does he has both?
I even started thinking somebody poisoned him