Having to decide whether or not to euthanize.

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Having to decide whether or not to euthanize.

This is a discussion on Having to decide whether or not to euthanize. within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; About 2 weeks ago (May 9) I woke my dog (a 12 year old hound mix) to take her morning walk. She could not get ...

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2017, 04:05 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having to decide whether or not to euthanize.

About 2 weeks ago (May 9) I woke my dog (a 12 year old hound mix) to take her morning walk. She could not get up and when she was finally able to she stumbled around my apartment like she was drunk. I rushed her to the veterinary ER and she was diagnosed with Vestibulary Syndrome (aka Old Dog Disease). I took her home and she quickly recovered. For the rest of the week you could not tell anything was wrong with her.

Almost a week and a half later, she had another episode, so I took her to the vet again. They basically told me the same thing except they thought it may be an inner ear infection so they prescribed her some antibiotics. Shes able to move around more, but she's not eating, drooling and is lethargic. I took her to the vet today and he said that because the Vestibulary disease episodes are recurring he suspects she may have a brain tumor.

Now my choices are taking her to a neurologist to have the diagnosis confirmed (which costs over $3000), euthanize her, or do nothing. This is really upsetting I've never had to euthanize a dog before and I hate to do it . I'd love to hear your thoughts on this or any advice.
mrweirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:34 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm so sorry that your girl is going through that, I know you must be heartbroken. I can only tell you what I'd do.

First I'd get a second opinion. Then if my dog received the same diagnosis I'd do the following:

If I had the money I'd confirm the diagnosis, but I'd call a vet school and see if they'd be able to do the test at a cheaper rate, or I'd call different vets and see if anyone could do it cheaper.

If I didn't have the money I'd take the wait and see approach, hoping it may not be a brain tumor. I'd give her a few days to a week to start getting better, unless she got worse or seemed to be suffering, then go from there.
Lielu likes this.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:59 PM
  #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
I'm so sorry that your girl is going through that, I know you must be heartbroken. I can only tell you what I'd do.

First I'd get a second opinion. Then if my dog received the same diagnosis I'd do the following:

If I had the money I'd confirm the diagnosis, but I'd call a vet school and see if they'd be able to do the test at a cheaper rate, or I'd call different vets and see if anyone could do it cheaper.

If I didn't have the money I'd take the wait and see approach, hoping it may not be a brain tumor. I'd give her a few days to a week to start getting better, unless she got worse or seemed to be suffering, then go from there.
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to call my vet first thing in the morning to schedule an appointment, then go from there.
mrweirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-21-2017, 05:24 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
harleyboysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 9,599
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What a hard thing to go thru. I absolutely get a second opinion. If it is confirmed, then your decision will be so difficult.

Just trust you vet.
harleyboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM
  #5
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry you and your dog are having to go through this. I second the advice for a second opinion. If your second opinion is the same, I would have a serious discussion with your Vet, regarding possible treatments, and what a reasonable prognosis would be. As long as your dog has a reasonable quality of life, and is not in pain, I would not want to euthanize. When the time does come, let your Vet provide his or her insight, and your dog will also let you know its time. So sorry this is happening, but its really not a back and white issue, its just not like a numerical equation that can only have one answer.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:21 PM
  #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just got back from the vet. She was doing better today and she actually ate some. The vet said it could either be just idiopathic and she's slow recovering (She said having two episodes in over a week is rare but not unheard of) or it could be a brain tumor. I've decided to wait and see if she gets better or worse or if she develops other symptoms.
Rain and Laco like this.
mrweirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 PM
  #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I forgot to mention that of course one of the first things she tried to eat was some garbage someone left out!
Rain likes this.
mrweirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:16 AM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm glad that she's doing better and getting her appetite back! Thanks so much for the update.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:51 PM
  #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
I'm glad that she's doing better and getting her appetite back! Thanks so much for the update.
No problem! I'm very cautiously optimistic though I have a sinking feeling she may not have a lot of time left.
mrweirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 PM
  #10
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dogs with brain tumors don't do better when symptoms first show. However, your dog is showing typical symptoms of having a mild stroke (CVA). The rapid onset, neurological symptoms and self-recovery. You might consider starting your dog on a low level of aspirin. One baby aspirin daily should work. As your vet about it.
Dr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too soon to euthanize? Dealing with guilt and anguish BradinPDX Dog Health 22 09-18-2017 02:02 PM
Blind dog with dementia: How do I know when to euthanize? Hollywood1012 General Dog Discussion 2 05-08-2017 09:25 PM
Struggling with decision to euthanize mhop Dog Health 25 12-20-2016 07:41 AM
Can't decide if he's a malinois or something else? gamma647 General Dog Discussion 5 08-07-2016 09:06 PM
Trying to decide if I should rehome my dog phx1clh General Dog Discussion 10 07-24-2016 11:33 AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.