Grapefruit fed to Dachshunds. Help!

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Grapefruit fed to Dachshunds. Help!

This is a discussion on Grapefruit fed to Dachshunds. Help! within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; I stupidly just fed my two small dachshunds (10lbs and 13lbs) some peeled grapefruit. They each got about 1/2 of one peeled slice. Not very ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashermac

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Grapefruit fed to Dachshunds. Help!

I stupidly just fed my two small dachshunds (10lbs and 13lbs) some peeled grapefruit. They each got about 1/2 of one peeled slice. Not very much, but they are small dogs.

I called a vet hotline and they said it should be fine but the ASPCA website makes it seem extremely bad and I'm panicking. Should I do anything? Feed them other food, water, etc?

I have the dog "do not feed" list memorized (grapes, chocolate, onions, avocado, stone fruit, xylitol, etc. etc.) I had no idea grapefruit was on there. I feel awful. Has anyone else done this? What signs should I look out for?

Thank you in advance.
ashermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:06 PM
  #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My understanding is it's the peel, seeds and pith of a grapefruit which could be harmful to a dog.
DriveDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 PM
  #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wouldn't be too worried about a slice of fruit. I'm actually pretty surprised they would eat grapefruit.

Just keep an eye on them.
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-07-2016, 10:03 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
From everything that I read the peel, pith, and seeds, are the most toxic, and the actual fruit not so much.

Looks like you should be looking out for vomiting, lethargy, sensitivity to light, depression, diarrhea, drooling, trembling, and photo-sensitivity.

I hope your little ones are alright! Hopefully since it was such a small amount no harm will be done.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:24 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you everyone. It has been almost a full day and they both seem okay. Learned my lesson though!
Rain likes this.
ashermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Tags
citrus, dachshund, grapefruit, poison, toxic

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.