We found a few fleas on my dog last night, and I'm trying to figure out how far I need to go in cleaning and treating him. Here are the details....
- He's an 8-year-old beagle on Sentinel Spectrum and lemongrass flea repellant. I hadn't given him the lemongrass for a couple months, though...my fault, I know. He has never had fleas before.
- I volunteered at a new shelter two days ago, and I took him to meet one of the dogs yesterday. We were thinking about adopting another beagle. It's possible he got the fleas there? Or I brought them home with me?
- I found 2 fleas on his hindquarters last night, so we immediately gave him a bath with flea tick shampoo. I washed the bedsheets, vacuumed all the floors and sprayed PetArmor flea spray on couches, carpets, beds, his crate, etc.
- After the bath I found 4 more fleas, one was dead but the others were still alive.
- I put lemongrass between his shoulders after he dried from the bath.
- This morning, I combed him with a flea comb and found 4 more fleas, alive. Ugh. Only 5-6 specks of flea dirt.
I guess my question is...how do I know how long he's had fleas? If it's only been 1-2 days, how far do I need to go with cleaning and treatment?
Any help is appreciated, I've never dealt with this before! And I'm not sure how to tell how bad it is. Thanks!