Eye discharge - natural remedies recommendations? - Page 2

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Eye discharge - natural remedies recommendations?

This is a discussion on Eye discharge - natural remedies recommendations? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Just and FYI: The Reality of Garlic in Dog Food When garlic is added for flavor, the maximum usage level is around 3 g per ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM
  #11
Senior Member
 
furbabymum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just and FYI:
The Reality of Garlic in Dog Food

When garlic is added for flavor, the maximum usage level is around 3 g per kilogram of food. Our 12 kg dog eating 200 g of food would eat approximately 0.6 g per day. To achieve the health benefits of garlic, the usage level is around 1.5 g of garlic per kilogram of food. A 12 kg dog would eat about 0.3 g a day. It is very apparent that these levels are nowhere close to the levels used in their experiment, and at these levels research had not shown any effect of garlic on red blood cells. The confusion comes from not considering the dosage rate.
Dosage

Question: What is the difference between a nutrient, a drug, and a toxin? Answer: Dosage.
That is an old saying among nutritionists, and it’s true. To say something is toxic without some reference to the level needed to cause the toxic effect is misleading, especially in the fields of nutrition and health.
Lots of nutrients we, and our pets, consume are potentially toxic. An example is the trace mineral selenium. Selenium is usually added to pet foods at the level of 0.2 ppm (parts per million). Increase that level to 1 ppm you get additional health benefits. Increase it to 10 ppm and the level becomes toxic, possibly even deadly.
Another example of where confusion is caused by talking about toxicity without considering dosage rate is Poinsettias. “Poinsettias are toxic; don’t let your dog near them.” Not true.
Chocolate is another example. Chocolate can be deadly to dogs in high dosages, especially highly-potent chocolate such as unsweetened baker’s chocolate or cocoa powder. If your Labrador steals a single milk chocolate off the table, it will likely suffer no ill effects. If your Teacup Poodle eats a whole box of dark chocolate, she should visit the veterinarian immediately.
The list of potentially toxic items could go on and on. I could include nutrients like salt, vitamin D, or Zinc. You name it, and it could be toxic at some level.
Garlic is Healthy

Garlic is added to dog foods because it has many health benefits, even at the very low levels used. Its main benefit is improvement to the health of the digestive tract. The other medicinal properties of garlic include: anti-microbial, antioxidant, antibiotic, fights cancer cells, decreases blood cholesterol, helps to prevent strokes and decreases blood pressure.
In fact, most of the research into the effect of feeding garlic to dogs is done because the researchers want to better understand the benefits of garlic, not the dangers.
Be assured that garlic is safe at the level used in dog foods, and remember that talking about toxicity without putting in some context of a “normal” consumption level is misleading.
furbabymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
  #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you, furbabymum. That's great information! I will look into it some more.

So we tried the Alaway early this morning and it was a disaster. Egg's eyes went really red and he started squinting. His right eye looked sunken and just really awful. So I ended up taking him to a vet in the suburbs right away, it didn't seem like it could wait until tomorrow. They ran all tests you guys suggested above (cornea stain test, tear production, eye pressure, checked for ulcers etc) and found nothing. They concluded that Egg has mild conjunctivitis and gave us eyedrops that contain a mild steroid and antibiotics (Neopolydex). We have to give those to him twice daily for 10 days. Oh my. Egg struggled so bad at the vet they needed several people to hold him down

Do you guys think conjunctivitis makes sense? His right eye still looks pretty bad (red, a bit sunken, squinting) but his other eye seems better.

Also, thank you everyone for suggesting a second opinion. I'm glad I ended up going to a second vet instead of trusting the first one and trying dietary supplements first. It would have just prolonged the whole ordeal.
AnnAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM
  #13
Senior Member
 
Tess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 13,331
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Conjunctivitis makes sense.

Its actually possible to clicker train a dog into accepting eye drops. I did it with my last dog.

Are you familiar with clicker training?

- start by "loading the clicker", which means click then give a treat (c/t). Do this about 20 times. You can use just plain kibble

The principle here is the dog learns that the click means the promise of a treat.
The click now "marks" the moment the dog did what will now earn the reward.
Now you are going to move on and "mark" the things that the dog will be rewarded for. Timing your click is very important. Give the click when the dog is holding still and cooperating. Do the progression in very tiny steps that the dog can accept without being restrained. For this to work, the dog must feel like he has a choice and is choosing to hold still. This means teeny steps. I'll outline the basics, but you may need to do much smaller steps.

- First hold the dropper bottle for the dog to see.... c/t. repeat as many times as needed until the dog seems happy to view the bottle
- then hold the bottle near his face... c/t. Repeat until the dog is accepting the dropper near his face.
- now place your hand on his face while holding the bottle near his eye. c/t. repeat until the dog is accepting this well.
- finally, give an eye drop, c/t

use high value treats each time you start a harder level.
Do this in 5 minute sessions, then give the dog a break.
Depending on the temperament of your dog, you could be giving eye drops easily in a few sessions, or unfortunately, it could take many days to train, which I realize you don't have, but its worth a try.

Last edited by Tess; 09-11-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Natural remedies against fleas and ticks. FosterMom Dog Health 0 08-20-2013 01:10 PM
Preputial discharge ehunter Dog Health 0 08-15-2013 10:35 AM
canine cavier vs california natural vs natural balance exotica Dog Food 23 11-20-2012 09:33 PM
My dog has an eye infection, any home remedies? Gareth Dog Health 3 08-08-2011 11:05 AM
Discharge in Bitch Bit Quirky Dog Health 13 06-14-2011 05:17 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.