Dog's head is swaying - Page 2

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Dog's head is swaying

This is a discussion on Dog's head is swaying within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Funny because a lot of the thyroid issues just exacerbate what is already true for Italian Greyhounds. Another common symptom is intolerance to cold, and ...

User Tag List

Like Tree12Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 08:13 AM
  #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Funny because a lot of the thyroid issues just exacerbate what is already true for Italian Greyhounds. Another common symptom is intolerance to cold, and this is very true for Italian Greyhounds anyway, so I barely noticed until I looked up symptoms and realised that he probably has become even more wimpy about cold lately. Same thing with the skittishness.
Lisa DogLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM
  #12
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa DogLover View Post
Funny because a lot of the thyroid issues just exacerbate what is already true for Italian Greyhounds. Another common symptom is intolerance to cold, and this is very true for Italian Greyhounds anyway, so I barely noticed until I looked up symptoms and realised that he probably has become even more wimpy about cold lately. Same thing with the skittishness.

Well, I'm interested to see the outcome for your dog. We are currently waiting for blood panel results to come back on our pup to see where his levels lay. He's 10 pounds and taking .1 mg twice a day, but I suspect that may have to increase.

Thyroid creates some weird issues. Ours almost looked to be having mini seizures, would just stand there and stare at nothing. couldn't jump on the couch or bed without working himself up for it.

Keep us posted.
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:49 AM
  #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagger View Post
Well, I'm interested to see the outcome for your dog. We are currently waiting for blood panel results to come back on our pup to see where his levels lay. He's 10 pounds and taking .1 mg twice a day, but I suspect that may have to increase.

Thyroid creates some weird issues. Ours almost looked to be having mini seizures, would just stand there and stare at nothing. couldn't jump on the couch or bed without working himself up for it.

Keep us posted.

Yes, I have seen some of that blank staring as well. And the same thing about being unable/unwilling to jump up onto the bed. So strange! I will definitely post an update after a few days on the medication - and here's hoping your pup is improving too.
Lisa DogLover is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM
  #14
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa DogLover View Post
Yes, I have seen some of that blank staring as well. And the same thing about being unable/unwilling to jump up onto the bed. So strange! I will definitely post an update after a few days on the medication - and here's hoping your pup is improving too.
Within 48 hours of being on synthroid, our pup was a brand new dog. All symptoms went away. Fingers crossed for you!
Lisa DogLover likes this.
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM
  #15
Senior Member
 
Chas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So glad to hear you have a diagnosis and treatment on the way.
Lisa DogLover likes this.
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:10 PM
  #16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks! My little bobblehead is no longer bobbling. I feel optimistic that we are on the way to having things sorted out.
Rain and griffinflames like this.
Lisa DogLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM
  #17
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa DogLover View Post
Thanks! My little bobblehead is no longer bobbling. I feel optimistic that we are on the way to having things sorted out.
Synthroid works pretty quick, glad to hear it's working. Within a few days, all should settle down. Reminds me, I have to call the vet to see if anyone looked at the bloodwork.
Lisa DogLover likes this.
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 AM
  #18
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, two days after starting medication he seems 100% better. No head bobbling, more calm, back to being social with the other dogs, and what strikes me as just being more mentally alert.

For example, the dogs have a couple of X-pens where we feed them, to keep them separate so they won't steal each other's dinner. I always shut the door but leave it unlocked. Forever, Emory has been able to just nose the door open when he is done eating, but lately (maybe for the last couple of months) he has stopped doing that, and just stood there helplessly waiting to be let out, as if he had forgotten how to open the door. This morning, he opened the door by himself the way he used to! It sort of feels like he's more himself again, and I'm so happy to see it.

I guess there were a lot of little things I wasn't even noticing, or just chalking up to the fact that Italian Greyhounds are neurotic little creatues at the best of times, haha! I just didn't realise Emory was getting weirder than the rest of them!

I have definitely learned that thyroid problems cause all sorts of symptoms that are not listed necessariliy "typical". Nowhere did I read that low thyroid could result in head bobbles! This stuff can express itself in unexpected ways.
Rain and Chas like this.
Lisa DogLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:40 AM
  #19
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa DogLover View Post
Well, two days after starting medication he seems 100% better. No head bobbling, more calm, back to being social with the other dogs, and what strikes me as just being more mentally alert.

For example, the dogs have a couple of X-pens where we feed them, to keep them separate so they won't steal each other's dinner. I always shut the door but leave it unlocked. Forever, Emory has been able to just nose the door open when he is done eating, but lately (maybe for the last couple of months) he has stopped doing that, and just stood there helplessly waiting to be let out, as if he had forgotten how to open the door. This morning, he opened the door by himself the way he used to! It sort of feels like he's more himself again, and I'm so happy to see it.

I guess there were a lot of little things I wasn't even noticing, or just chalking up to the fact that Italian Greyhounds are neurotic little creatues at the best of times, haha! I just didn't realise Emory was getting weirder than the rest of them!

I have definitely learned that thyroid problems cause all sorts of symptoms that are not listed necessariliy "typical". Nowhere did I read that low thyroid could result in head bobbles! This stuff can express itself in unexpected ways.
That's excellent news. The thyroid is an amazing little organ, and thyroid issues seem to be getting more common. Hypothyroidism can wreak havoc in the GI tract as well, if you haven't experienced that in the dog, count your lucky stars.

Update us once in a while
jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM
  #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh yes, we did see some GI problems about two or three weeks before the head bobbing started. He was alternating between being quite constipated (producing stool that looked like tiny rabbit pellets!) and then terrible diarrhea that was like water.

Strange symptoms indeed! The strangest of all was that he suddenly started developing long lasting erections, having never done that in his entire life. Bizarre!

Thanks for the good wishes. I will update as we go. Sending good wishes to your pup too!
Lisa DogLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to wrap my head around +R or positive reinforcement "curing" dogs. jagger Dog Training and Behavior 166 05-06-2016 03:31 PM
Notes on the Domestication of Dogs GitaBooks Dog Training and Behavior 26 12-14-2015 06:28 PM
Alcoholics and Dogs... In Over My Head Aurora Dog Training and Behavior 3 12-13-2015 01:03 PM
Thoughts on Doggy DayCare Shandula General Dog Discussion 17 10-31-2015 09:04 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.