Dog yelps when pooping

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Dog yelps when pooping

This is a discussion on Dog yelps when pooping within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hello everyone! I want to preface this by saying that my dog has been to two vets (his primary care vet, and a specialist) - ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 10:35 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Dog yelps when pooping

Hello everyone!


I want to preface this by saying that my dog has been to two vets (his primary care vet, and a specialist) - I am writing here just to see if anybody has any thoughts on his condition.


My dog Connor is a 4-year-old chiweenie (chihuahua/dachshund mix). He's always had very minor anal gland problems (he's a bit leaky sometimes!) but he gets them expressed either externally by his groomer or internally by his primary care vet. We took him to the groomer for his normal bath, and we asked them to express his glands because he'd been a bit uncomfortable with them. After that appointment, he started yelping very sharply when defecating - I'm not sure it's related, but that is when it started.


We took Connor to his vet and she did a rectal exam. She didn't feel any masses, and his prostate was OK as well. She said his butt was a little bit inflamed, so she prescribed him an antibiotic and Prednisone. After finishing that course of medication, Connor was still yelping, so we went back. This time, she prescribed him metronidazole and another anti-inflammatory - still no improvement. At this point, she referred us to an internal medicine specialist, who we saw yesterday.


The internal medicine vet took an X-Ray of Connor, because she suspected that he has back problems. She did a rectal exam and said he only really reacted when she pushed upward, which is what informed her decision to do an X-Ray. The X-Ray came back completely normal - she even showed it to another specialist, and he said it was normal as well. Connor is now on gabapentin for the next 14 days. The internal medicine vet said if he doesn't improve, she's going to refer us to a neurologist. I can't help but feel that this is a local issue in his rectum and they're missing something, but I also can't really argue with an expert!


I should mention that other than this problem, Connor is completely normal. He eats and drinks normally, and he's very energetic and always wants to play. He only yelps when that very first poop comes out - sometimes he yelps loudly and sometimes it's just a whimper. I think it is related to the shape and consistency of the feces. Also, his poop is completely normal - no blood or mucus to be seen.



And that's the story! Has anybody ever experienced this before? Does anybody have a hunch of what this might be, and if going to a neurologist is really a good next step?


Thanks so much in advance!
cherrymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:41 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Halo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You should listen to the vets but, do ask if he might need more fiber in his diet or, something to soften his stool for a while until the problem is healed/found. If not that then, the vet may be able to give you something to make his go more comfortable for him.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 AM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Don't have much to offer, other than follow your Vets advice. If he doesn't improve, the neurologist might be the specialist you need to track down what hurts. We have had ours under the care of a neurologist for the past several months, due to an auto-immune issue. Brace yourself for the costs, ours needed an MRI and a spinal tap. The upside, is ours is doing much much better.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did they check his anal glands to make sure they were not messed up the last time you had them expressed? That would be what I most suspected given that his problem is when he defecates.

I also have a Chi x Dach and I finally figured out his anal glad problems are related to a sensitivity to chicken. If he gets more then a bite or two of chicken a couple times a week his anal glands start to act up. This week I've been a bad mama and have given him little pieces of chicken 4 days in a row and last night noticed that he's having problems with those glands, so it's back to cutting all chicken out of his diet. I also give him 1/4 tsp of oat brand 2x a day to help bulk up his stool and keep the anal glands expressed.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:41 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
You should listen to the vets but, do ask if he might need more fiber in his diet or, something to soften his stool for a while until the problem is healed/found. If not that then, the vet may be able to give you something to make his go more comfortable for him.

That's a good idea - will do! Hopefully it'll at least ease his pain a little bit.
cherrymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:42 PM
  #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Don't have much to offer, other than follow your Vets advice. If he doesn't improve, the neurologist might be the specialist you need to track down what hurts. We have had ours under the care of a neurologist for the past several months, due to an auto-immune issue. Brace yourself for the costs, ours needed an MRI and a spinal tap. The upside, is ours is doing much much better.

As worried as I am about Connor, I'm worried about the costs as well. It's almost impossible to take good care of your pet without paying an arm and a leg nowadays!



Could I ask what symptoms your dog was showing? If you don't want to share, that's okay too!
cherrymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:46 PM
  #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Did they check his anal glands to make sure they were not messed up the last time you had them expressed? That would be what I most suspected given that his problem is when he defecates.

I also have a Chi x Dach and I finally figured out his anal glad problems are related to a sensitivity to chicken. If he gets more then a bite or two of chicken a couple times a week his anal glands start to act up. This week I've been a bad mama and have given him little pieces of chicken 4 days in a row and last night noticed that he's having problems with those glands, so it's back to cutting all chicken out of his diet. I also give him 1/4 tsp of oat brand 2x a day to help bulk up his stool and keep the anal glands expressed.

I am actually not too sure if they checked his anal glands - I will bring it up with the specialist if his problem isn't solved and we have to see her again.



Aw, I'd also bend to my dog begging me for chicken since he loves it so much! I had my dog taking anal gland support supplements to bulk up his stool, but I've stopped for now until this issue can be resolved.
cherrymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:40 PM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrymilk View Post
I am actually not too sure if they checked his anal glands - I will bring it up with the specialist if his problem isn't solved and we have to see her again.



Aw, I'd also bend to my dog begging me for chicken since he loves it so much! I had my dog taking anal gland support supplements to bulk up his stool, but I've stopped for now until this issue can be resolved.
LOL, yep Zody waits ever so patiently for me to finish then he's seems to say, "I was a really good boy! Where's my piece?" It's so hard to say no!

The nice thing about the oat bran is that it doesn't make things too hard or big. Just seems to firm everything up so it empties the glands.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:53 PM
  #9
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrymilk View Post
As worried as I am about Connor, I'm worried about the costs as well. It's almost impossible to take good care of your pet without paying an arm and a leg nowadays!



Could I ask what symptoms your dog was showing? If you don't want to share, that's okay too!

Medical costs for our pets are not inexpensive. Our dog was in a lot of pain, would yelp when she moved her head, didn't want to walk, or move much. She could not pick up anything from the floor. Her diagnosis is sterile meningitis, which is not viral or bacterial, but an auto-immune problem where her immune system literally attacks her central nervous system. She has been on huge doses of steroids to mute her immune system, and of course all those steroids have terrible side effects. We fortunately are at the stage of slowly withdrawing her from the steroids, cutting the dose in half every two to three weeks. We hope for no relapse, which the neurologist is 'cautiously optimistic' about.


Your dog may well have nothing more than an irritated anal gland, but if your Vets say that is not it, you need to find out what is going on. Neurologist can rule out, or in, a spinal issue, including pressure on the spinal cord, which can manifest itself in many different ways, from mild discomfort, to acute pain and possibly paralysis, or worse. Truthfully the tests were not inexpensive, the MRI alone was right about $2000.00. We fortunately have medical insurance for her, which has helped a lot. It hasn't paid everything, but has covered about three quarters of it. With medical costs today, I have found carrying medical insurance for our fur baby is as necessary as it is for us. We have been fighting this for several months, and as of right now, Samantha seems to be responding well. She is not in pain, non that I can detect, still very weak, but more and more aware and interested in what's going on around her, something, that for awhile she did not care about at all.


Please keep us posted on your progress with Connor.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:40 AM
  #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
LOL, yep Zody waits ever so patiently for me to finish then he's seems to say, "I was a really good boy! Where's my piece?" It's so hard to say no!

The nice thing about the oat bran is that it doesn't make things too hard or big. Just seems to firm everything up so it empties the glands.

Connor does exactly the same thing! If that's Zody in your profile picture, he has very similar coloring to Connor.


That's good to know re: the oat bran. Thanks for the tip!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Medical costs for our pets are not inexpensive. Our dog was in a lot of pain, would yelp when she moved her head, didn't want to walk, or move much. She could not pick up anything from the floor. Her diagnosis is sterile meningitis, which is not viral or bacterial, but an auto-immune problem where her immune system literally attacks her central nervous system. She has been on huge doses of steroids to mute her immune system, and of course all those steroids have terrible side effects. We fortunately are at the stage of slowly withdrawing her from the steroids, cutting the dose in half every two to three weeks. We hope for no relapse, which the neurologist is 'cautiously optimistic' about.


Your dog may well have nothing more than an irritated anal gland, but if your Vets say that is not it, you need to find out what is going on. Neurologist can rule out, or in, a spinal issue, including pressure on the spinal cord, which can manifest itself in many different ways, from mild discomfort, to acute pain and possibly paralysis, or worse. Truthfully the tests were not inexpensive, the MRI alone was right about $2000.00. We fortunately have medical insurance for her, which has helped a lot. It hasn't paid everything, but has covered about three quarters of it. With medical costs today, I have found carrying medical insurance for our fur baby is as necessary as it is for us. We have been fighting this for several months, and as of right now, Samantha seems to be responding well. She is not in pain, non that I can detect, still very weak, but more and more aware and interested in what's going on around her, something, that for awhile she did not care about at all.


Please keep us posted on your progress with Connor.

Yes, they absolutely are not inexpensive. And, really, no matter the cost, I would do anything to make sure Connor is healthy and happy.


Thanks for sharing all those details! I'm so happy to hear that Samantha is improving. I genuinely hope that she won't relapse.



I will definitely keep you all posted. I e-mailed the vet a video of Connor defecating (at her request), so maybe that'll help us shed some light on the situation.
cherrymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Tags
chiweenie, pain while pooping, poo issues

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pooping at night Yorkienovice17 Dog Training and Behavior 25 05-12-2016 11:57 AM
9 month old dog pooping in the house momomsess Dog Training and Behavior 1 04-21-2016 02:15 PM
10 year old pooping in the house mickyyluvsyou Dog Health 2 01-15-2016 09:30 AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.