Dog keeps scratching, but skin seems fine? (and its not fleas) - Page 2

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Dog keeps scratching, but skin seems fine? (and its not fleas)

This is a discussion on Dog keeps scratching, but skin seems fine? (and its not fleas) within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Update: scratching took turn for worse... Around may 18 I gave him a good bath with oatmeal shampoo which seemed to help a bit. A ...

User Tag List

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 AM
  #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas Desert
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update: scratching took turn for worse...

Around may 18 I gave him a good bath with oatmeal shampoo which seemed to help a bit. A couple days later I put frontline on him and it didn't seem to help much, in fact his scratching got worse but soon went back to "average". I've treated my other pets and have been vacuuming frequently with the flea collar in the vacuum and using flea powder. I gave him another a bath a couple Weeks ago and this time it didn't help at all. I put frontline on him again a couple days early to see if it would help his itching which was getting worse. It actually made his itching a lot worse and yesterday I checked his under side since he was scratching there a lot and found about 10 hot spots that had just developed. Most are around his stomach and private parts with a few on his chest and arm pits. I had some left over hot spot treatment from the vet that been given to one of my previous dog and I have been applying it to his hot spots twice daily. It really has helped his itching and soothed him. Although those spots are getting better, he's now scratching in other areas and I'm guessing hot spots are now developing all over his body, although I've checked but don't really see any redness or anything out of the ordinary, his skin looks fine but it's hard to tell with all the thick fur. He has had no hair loss or pus. Just a note, he has been blowing his coat for the last month (this is his first time) and thus has been shedding a lot. But he hasn't had any hair loss around the areas of the spots.

What might be causing the hot spots? I don't think it's fleas because I haven't seen a flea on him since my last post here and I haven't seen any flea dirt, I've even done the wet paper towel test and nothing came up. And wouldn't the frontline have helped if it was fleas?

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it (:
Posted via Mobile Device
CoffieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM
  #12
Senior Member
 
Tuckersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Central Louisiana
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Our Labrador, Molly, cannot use Frontline. It caused a horrble sore on the spot where we applied it the only time we used it.

Comfortis is what we use and it works well for all three of our dogs.

I trust that Holly will be along soon to give you some advice.
Tuckersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:49 AM
  #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas Desert
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckersmom View Post
Our Labrador, Molly, cannot use Frontline. It caused a horrble sore on the spot where we applied it the only time we used it.

Comfortis is what we use and it works well for all three of our dogs.

I trust that Holly will be along soon to give you some advice.
I've checked where we added the frontline at the base of the neck and the skin seems fine. He's actually not scratching there much. I haven't really heard or seen much of comfortis but I'll look into it.

He's scratching most at his legs, arm pits, private parts, rib area and tail area...Yeah, kind of everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
CoffieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-19-2013, 12:22 PM
  #14
Senior Member
 
Tuckersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Central Louisiana
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffieDog View Post
I've checked where we added the frontline at the base of the neck and the skin seems fine. He's actually not scratching there much. I haven't really heard or seen much of comfortis but I'll look into it.

He's scratching most at his legs, arm pits, private parts, rib area and tail area...Yeah, kind of everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Molly didn't itch at the site of application. That area just turned into a sore. I mentioned it in case your pup was having an all-over allergic reaction to the Frontline. I haven't researched what the side-effects could be.

Comfortis is an oral pill, given once a month on a full stomach.

Frontline quit working for our area for fleas. Our vet doesn't even stock Frontline anymore because of that. Advantage did not work for my dogs last year, which is why we switched to Comfortis.
Adee likes this.
Tuckersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 PM
  #15
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,646
Mentioned: 359 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sounds like a reaction to the Frontline. I had something similar happen when I used Biospot.

I'd have an allergy test done on him to find out what's going on.

He could be sensitive to a couple of things, fleas, the flea preventive, environmental, or food.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 PM
  #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas Desert
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Was hoping molly would respond because she was so helpful last time but anyways

Update: more bad news: other pets now showing same symptoms.. :/

The hot spots i've been treating are responding well and most are almost all healed up...but unfortunately, he is still very itchy and new hot spots are forming in the new areas he's scratching and biting at, where there is a lot of fur :/ thus it is going to be harder to put med on... I've given him zyertec because I was told it might be extreme allergies, but it did nothing on him for the first 5 hours, but after that I did notice a decrease in scratching.

Since i've discovered his hot spots a few days back i've noticed that my other dog and two cats (who up to now have had no symptoms whatsoever) are now beginning to scratch and itch. Once again I check thier fur but find no abnormality or fleas/flea dirt (they are on frontline too).

Did my dog infect them with some skin disease? since he began itching 2 months back he has been in very close contact with them but they haven't started scratching until now. I'm really frustrated with all this....the last thing I need are four very itchy sick pets. Is there any thing I can do to keep the "disease" from progressing on my other pets?
Posted via Mobile Device
CoffieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 PM
  #17
Senior Member
 
Tuckersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Central Louisiana
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You are hoping for Holly, not Molly to reply. She is a veterinarian. I'm sure she will check for new posts at her next available opportunity.

I read back through this thread, and it hit me again as it did the first time I read your June 19th post. You said that you were using flea powder. What are you using flea powder on? Surely not the pets who have all been treated with Frontline, right? I would think that combining flea powder and Frontline on a pet would cause an allergic reaction, which is starting to sound like hives to me.

If you have put the flea powder on the pets, give them all a bath. The Frontline will stay on, as it states on the package.

Get all of them on Benadryl which will help with the itching and with the inflammation. Keep dosing the Benadryl until the 'hives' or 'hotspots' or whatever they are clear up. Do not give them Zyrtec and Benadryl. Just the Benadryl.

I don't know the dose for the Benadryl or how much time between doses. You could Google it or search this site.

I am not a vet, so if you have any doubts about what I have posted, please check with your vet before following through with my advice. You could even call an emergency vet clinic, if there are any in your area, to speak to a vet. Or call your vet's after hour service. They can get the vet on call to call you back.

I hope Holly responds soon, as I know you must feel desperate to help your pets, and to figure out what is going on and how to stop it.
Tuckersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 PM
  #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas Desert
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckersmom View Post
You are hoping for Holly, not Molly to reply. She is a veterinarian. I'm sure she will check for new posts at her next available opportunity.

I read back through this thread, and it hit me again as it did the first time I read your June 19th post. You said that you were using flea powder. What are you using flea powder on? Surely not the pets who have all been treated with Frontline, right? I would think that combining flea powder and Frontline on a pet would cause an allergic reaction, which is starting to sound like hives to me.

If you have put the flea powder on the pets, give them all a bath. The Frontline will stay on, as it states on the package.

Get all of them on Benadryl which will help with the itching and with the inflammation. Keep dosing the Benadryl until the 'hives' or 'hotspots' or whatever they are clear up. Do not give them Zyrtec and Benadryl. Just the Benadryl.

I don't know the dose for the Benadryl or how much time between doses. You could Google it or search this site.

.
Whoops, yeah I meant holly xP

No, I put flea powder on the carpets not the pets, I stated that after I said that I vacuumed and I was implying that I put it on the carpet before vaccuuming.

I was giving my dogs benadryl but it wasn't doing anything for them so I was told to try zyertec since it is stronger. Although, i've only given zyertec to my original sick dog, not my other pets yet.

I've given both my dogs baths with oatmeal and aloe shampoo. It actually didn't help my other dog(the one that has just started showing symptoms) but it seemed to help my already sick one. (?) I haven't given my cats baths for a while.

I decided that I'm going to take my original itchy dog to the vet and see if we can figure something out and see if it's an allergic reaction or a contagious skin disease. hopefully it's nothing serious and I won't have to take all my other pets to the vet, I'm already very low on funds and have tons of bills coming up + house rent.
Posted via Mobile Device
CoffieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 AM
  #19
Senior Member
 
Tuckersmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Central Louisiana
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffieDog View Post
I decided that I'm going to take my original itchy dog to the vet and see if we can figure something out and see if it's an allergic reaction or a contagious skin disease. hopefully it's nothing serious and I won't have to take all my other pets to the vet, I'm already very low on funds and have tons of bills coming up + house rent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Has your dog been exposed to anything inside or outside of your environment, such as another animal with skin issues? If not, I wouldn't think it was anything serious.

Good that you're going to get the one dog in to see the vet. Hoping with you for an answer and a solution to what's going on with your pets.
Tuckersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:28 PM
  #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas Desert
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckersmom View Post
Has your dog been exposed to anything inside or outside of your environment, such as another animal with skin issues? If not, I wouldn't think it was anything .
Not that I know of. My current pets never had any skin issues. He's been around a lot of other dogs but non, that I know of, had any skin problems. But if he picked up some disease, wouldn't the hot spots have started sooner? He first started showing these scratching and itching symptoms like 2 months ago and only until now has had hot spots and stuff.

Today I made the appointment for the vet for Monday and for now I'm trying to keep him away from my other pets but it's hard since he always wants to play with them. He actually hasn't been scratching a lot today compared to other days. He isn't getting worse, which is good, but I'm still worried that my other pets might have gotten something from him.
Posted via Mobile Device
CoffieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Tags
dog, flea treatment, fleas, scratching

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Dog won't stop scratching and doesn't have fleas TuckerDog Dog Health 14 06-20-2013 04:37 PM
The dog's doing fine, the cats however... AprilNFred Dog Training and Behavior 2 05-16-2013 08:59 AM
Scratching/scaly skin? bigC Dog Health 8 11-13-2012 07:41 PM
Fine in every way but doesnt want to play Mese General Dog Discussion 4 01-25-2012 09:28 AM
Foster Fails or Fine? KattenyaJenn New Additions 11 12-30-2011 07:07 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.