Dog With Heart Disease Needs Surgery

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Dog With Heart Disease Needs Surgery

This is a discussion on Dog With Heart Disease Needs Surgery within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hello, I'm new to the forum and just looking for some advice and maybe some personal experience. Just some help to get through this... I ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2017, 10:01 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dog With Heart Disease Needs Surgery

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and just looking for some advice and maybe some personal experience. Just some help to get through this...

I have a 12 year old Miniature Poodle that was just diagnosed with Mitral Valve disease about 8 months ago. He had a heart murmur that showed up during an exam prior to a dental and had a complete work up done and showed no signs of the disease being serious. No heart enlargement or anything. So he went through the dental and had some small benign bumps removed and everything was just fine.

More recently, a week before thanksgiving, I noticed that he had a swollen anal gland and made an appointment with the vet. Turns out it was actually a tumor, cancerous, and they did an ultrasound and x-rays. Cancer hasn't spread, lymph nodes aren't enlarged, and calcium levels are normal. All really good signs the cancer hasn't spread. So tumor removal is the go to option and then chemotherapy treatment after that.

The issue is the x-rays showed some minor heart enlargement and they did an echo cardiogram today before he was supposed to have surgery. Well apparently, they had a cardiologist do it and the cardiologist is saying he's at the stage were he should be on meds even though the primary vet said that based on the x-ray it hasn't reached that point yet. Obviously, the echo cardiogram gives a lot more information about what is actually going on in the heart itself so that probably explains the discrepancy there.

So they called and said they could go through with the surgery although there is an increased risk or we could put him on heart meds for a week and see if things improve and then do retesting of the heart and go from there. At this point I am **** scared to go through with the surgery at all. If his heart wasn't enlarged and things didn't progress so quickly within that 8 months I would probably be fine with it but now I'm so lost as to whether or not I'm making the right decision.

So they did a chest x-ray and the cardiologist, anesthesiologist and the surgeon all met up and talked again and the surgeon called and said the cardiologist sees no reason not to just go through with the surgery today and get it done with. So I said ok. And now I'm slowly losing my mind.

So really, I just need emotional support... Maybe some person experiences to help me get through the next 3 hours while I wait for the surgeon to call. I'm just slightly freaking out right now. I just now that if I don't go through with the surgery there's a risk the tumor will get larger... it can cause him to not be able to properly go to the bathroom. Not to mention the cancer could potentially progress to an even worse point. So idk... I just don't know.
Britt0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,091
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't tell you how to feel, and I too would be anxious in your situation. About all I have to offer, is trust your Vet, if you don't, find one that you do trust, then follow his or her advice. There can never be a guarantee with anything medical, the best a Vet or an MD can do, is accurately gather information and take whatever steps are medically necessary and available to reduce the chances of complications.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advanced heart disease and weather trinba Dog Health 32 11-18-2018 03:50 AM
Lyme Disease mhbaja Dog Health 1 06-16-2017 11:35 PM
Heart, Liver, Adrenal Issues - Conventional vs Natural JewlzieTX Dog Health 6 08-22-2016 07:26 AM
Thoughts on possible TPLO surgery for my pup Pkyankfan Dog Health 4 07-27-2016 06:44 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.