Dog Ate and Passed Sock, Still Seems Sick?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Dog Ate and Passed Sock, Still Seems Sick?

This is a discussion on Dog Ate and Passed Sock, Still Seems Sick? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hello, New here and just seeking advice. My 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog has had a nasty habit of ingesting socks. Over the years, ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dog Ate and Passed Sock, Still Seems Sick?

Hello,

New here and just seeking advice. My 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog has had a nasty habit of ingesting socks. Over the years, she has undergone several surgeries as, despite our best efforts, she manages to somehow find them. In addition to the surgeries, she has also passed several socks without any adverse affect.

This week she was seeming like she was not herself and in the past two days, she passed two of my toddlers socks, the last was just last night. A few days ago, we took her to the vet where she received x-rays and they were not able to locate either sock although we were sure they were there. Thankfully, she passed them as mentioned however, today she is barely able to walk and seems to be in pain. She is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally. I am 99% sure that there are no other socks left in there as we arent missing any others.

Unfortunately, at this point we simply can't afford another surgery as we just had our second baby 3 weeks ago and I'm out on leave with no pay for 3 months. Her vet is also reluctant to operate on her again and, white frankly, with 2 young children it's tough to be vigilant about keeping everything out of her reach.

Any ideas on why she may still be feeling sick if both socks have passed? I'm not able to get her to the vet until my husband gets home much later today.

Thanks so much for any advice-
hiitsjenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Impossible to know from here, what going on with her, but it really sounds like she needs to be checked out by a Vet. Let us know what the Vet finds.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:27 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ditto... we have had several experiences when clients told us all the socks had passed, but turned out not to be the case. An ultrasound can easily pick out a remaining sock... but even if not socks left, a particularly rough passing through the intestines can cause some damage left behind (worse case scenario, a ruptured intestine or intusseception)... unfortunately surgery is always needed in those cases, and ASAP or things tend not to progress well.
lzrddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.