Dog ate a grape

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Dog ate a grape

This is a discussion on Dog ate a grape within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; My 10 month old puppy just ate one grape. It was pretty small but I heard even one grape can harm a dog. It’s been ...

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Artdog
  • 2 Post By Michela

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 07:24 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dog ate a grape

My 10 month old puppy just ate one grape. It was pretty small but I heard even one grape can harm a dog. It’s been about 40 minutes after him eating it and he is acting pretty normal. Should I be worried?
Michela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:11 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Halo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If he seems even a tad off, get to the vet ASAP, sometimes it can take several hours for the effects of a toxin to show up in a dog, watch him closely tonight and, if one thing seems even a fraction off, get to the vet NOW.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:36 AM
  #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michela View Post
My 10 month old puppy just ate one grape. It was pretty small but I heard even one grape can harm a dog. Itís been about 40 minutes after him eating it and he is acting pretty normal. Should I be worried?
is he a small dog? one grape is risky for small dogs. pls observe and get him to the vet if anything weird happens
jnageb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-18-2018, 08:49 AM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Artdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Stouffville, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From snopes:


Pet owners need not live in dread fear of their dog’s keeling over dead after swallowing a grape or two. However, if a canine should down a handful of grapes (or even a smaller amount of raisins), a prompt trip to the veterinarian would likely be in order. Aggressive treatment with intravenous fluids and close monitoring are a canine’s best chance for survival after the ingestion of something toxic.
Grapes and raisins aren’t the only people foods reported as dangerous to man’s best friend. Chocolate and cocoa can prove deadly to them, as can onions and macadamia nuts.



https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gr...rmful-to-dogs/


grapes go on a list of 'not worth the risk', many unknowns, often harmless, but when it does harm, real harm and seems to be no rhyme or reason to quantity or size of the dog, BUT also, if 1 or 2 accidental grapes ingested -- Don't Panick.
Chas likes this.
Artdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:22 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
He is about 16 or 17 pounds. He is acting pretty normal and it's the day after. He has been a little bit more tired than usual but he was outside all day yesterday and ran around a lot. He hasn't lost his appetite or anything like that and he hasn't puked.
Chas and jnageb18 like this.

Last edited by Michela; 06-18-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Michela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:25 AM
  #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
okay. sounds to me like he is fine then. ill be careful with the grapes from now on!

but still, ill continue to observe as effects may be seen 24-48 hours ish after

Last edited by jnageb18; 06-19-2018 at 01:32 AM.
jnageb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM
  #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: With Bob
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdog View Post

grapes go on a list of 'not worth the risk', many unknowns, often harmless, but when it does harm, real harm and seems to be no rhyme or reason to quantity or size of the dog, BUT also, if 1 or 2 accidental grapes ingested -- Don't Panick.

I have wondered as well about the " no rhyme or reason"


I've always enjoyed listening and reading Dr. Karen Becker when it comes to dogs and diet. Maybe you will find this interesting or maybe not?


Anyway, it is odd what used to be okay for dogs years ago has changed so dramatically. Maybe this video has some merit to it?? Synthetic cryolite? could be.


https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...city-dogs.aspx
Bob The Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:15 AM
  #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So how was your dog now? Is he doing okay?
natnatroswell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 AM
  #9
Senior Member
 
Laco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some dogs, apparently can tolerate grapes, some react violently to even one grape. Certainly IMO not worth the risk. Damage can be complete and sudden kidney failure.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.