Delaying the Spay

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Delaying the Spay

This is a discussion on Delaying the Spay within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hello everyone! So, forever ago we made Heidi's appointment for her spay, and it is this Monday. However, I've been doing some thinking and chatting ...

User Tag List

Like Tree25Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:14 AM
  #1
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
Shandula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,614
Mentioned: 1383 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Delaying the Spay

Hello everyone!

So, forever ago we made Heidi's appointment for her spay, and it is this Monday. However, I've been doing some thinking and chatting with local agility and sport people, and I'm wondering if it would be better off to delay her spay. I WILL be getting her spayed at some point, I just am growing increasingly uncomfortable with spaying her as early as this. I've also been doing some research, and there seems to be a decent amount of support for waiting to spay, particularly for sport dogs, which is what she will be.
Now, I have a signed contract with the breeder that says I will spay the puppy "Within 6 months of taking possession" (which is this month) or failure to do so "will result in the non-issue of the registration papers".
Now, I have zero plans of ever showing any of my dogs, so I don't actually care about the registration papers. I've half a mind to just e-mail the breeder and let her know that I'm going to post-pone, but at the same time, she really does not seem to care that I have one of her puppies. (Looking back, both of my breeders were ethical, and I have great dogs, but I have zero relationships with either of them).
So, I guess the end of this little post is:
a) Am I making a good decision by choosing to wait? I was hoping to wait until at least a year.
b) Should I wait until her first heat? Or what about 2 years?
c) Should I e-mail the breeder or just forfeit the papers and not say anything?

Thanks everyone! Anyone with advice is greatly encouraged to share.
Shandula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:23 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
annageckos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's a really personal decision. You do have a contract, BUT she is your dog and you have to do what you feel is in her best interest/health. It's a little different with my girl because giant breeds shouldn't be spayed until the are over a year old. But I feel waiting as long as possible is best. I'll be getting Freyja spayed in the next month or so, trying to get it done before her next heat otherwise I'd wait till she was 14-16 months old. I personally wouldn't spay before a year old with most dogs. I want the dogs to be fully grown before taking those hormones away from them.
annageckos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 AM
  #3
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
Shandula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,614
Mentioned: 1383 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annageckos View Post
It's a really personal decision. You do have a contract, BUT she is your dog and you have to do what you feel is in her best interest/health. It's a little different with my girl because giant breeds shouldn't be spayed until the are over a year old. But I feel waiting as long as possible is best. I'll be getting Freyja spayed in the next month or so, trying to get it done before her next heat otherwise I'd wait till she was 14-16 months old. I personally wouldn't spay before a year old with most dogs. I want the dogs to be fully grown before taking those hormones away from them.
Thank you! The contract essentially states that if we don't, we just can't have her AKC papers, which doesn't really stress me out, but I'm surprised she hasn't contact me to ask about it. She just seems so disinterested. Ugh, I don't know.
Shandula is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-03-2016, 09:56 AM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Gnostic Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you want to honor the contract as agreed, you could always opt for an OSS (ovary sparing spay).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alte...ealteringinfo/
Gnostic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:48 AM
  #5
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
jclark343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,233
Mentioned: 1658 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@cbarkerb724 did a OSS with Lila and I am pretty sure is happy with the results.

The only thing you may want to consider on not having her registration is if you plan on showing AKC you will need her registration. Now you could always go around the breeder and get her registered PAL and still show, but I am pretty sure they consider that unethical.

Another thing to think about would be Levi. Is he neutered? If he is not neutered you will have to keep on top of them during their heats, which will probably mean separating them, and I know that might be stressful for both of them since they love each other so much.
crazy and Kwenami like this.
jclark343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM
  #6
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
Shandula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,614
Mentioned: 1383 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Gnostic_Dog - Hm, that's a good thought. I think the closest vet that does an OSS is two hours away, which would be inconvenient but not horrible.
@jclark343 - Levi is neutered, but still shows a little interest in females when in heat, so I think he might bug her, but I don't really know. I never thought about her not being able to do agility.

Ugh, I'm struggling.
crazy and jclark343 like this.
Shandula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM
  #7
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
jclark343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,233
Mentioned: 1658 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Check to see what type of trials happen around you. Sometimes AKC isn't as common in an area. Also, when you are planning to show her, if her heat happens to fall on a trial day you may be required to pull her from a trial. Too much of a risk with so many intact dogs in a small area.
jclark343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:44 PM
  #8
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
Shandula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,614
Mentioned: 1383 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark343 View Post
Check to see what type of trials happen around you. Sometimes AKC isn't as common in an area. Also, when you are planning to show her, if her heat happens to fall on a trial day you may be required to pull her from a trial. Too much of a risk with so many intact dogs in a small area.
I did know about not being able to compete while she is heat, which is fair. Poor dogs. I wonder if my breeder would be okay with an OSS...
jclark343 likes this.
Shandula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM
  #9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,595
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Your breeder might be willing to consider pushing back the spay, too, if you explain your reasoning. I think their biggest concern is that the dogs do indeed get spayed and there are no accidents.
Sha likes this.
Kwenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:24 PM
  #10
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
Shandula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,614
Mentioned: 1383 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Kwenami - I think I will e-mail her and just explain that I would really prefer to wait for health purposes and that she WILL 100% be spayed, just not right now. If she says yes, great, if she says no, I don't know what I'll do. I feel it is in her best interest to wait, but I don't want to be shady and register her as a PAL or whatever without her knowledge.
Kwenami and Sha like this.
Shandula is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post spay surgery Charlottesperson Dog Health 2 01-25-2016 05:29 AM
Very unsure about spay incision Stacistaples Dog Health 2 12-22-2015 03:48 AM
What to expect after Pyometra Spay BertieBasset Dog Health 4 12-04-2015 02:23 AM
Traditional vs Ovary Sparing Spay Shandula Dog Health 13 11-15-2015 07:04 PM
Laproscopic Spay? Vet only did 1 incision not 2 Bryansgirl Dog Health 5 10-15-2015 10:07 AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.