Greetings Pup luvers.
If anyone could help with our current situation, it would be very much appreciated!
We have a 3 dogs...
- 14 year old Jack Russell (Dakota)
- 3 year old Rat Terrier (Dewey)
- 3 year old Rat Terrier (Lewey)
My 14 year old jack, Dakota, has black 'specks' on his body. Mostly on his groin/privates, and armpits. It does seem to come and go. Please see attached photos.
They sort of look like specks of dirt... but he does NOT have fleas, nor is he itchy or scratching more than usual.
If you zoom in, you can see that it looks almost 'fungal'...?
Some additional info:
- He HAS been to the vet (several times). The vet was sort of perplexed. As he is NOT necessarily itchy. And he does not have fleas.
- It seems to come and go. Usually after several months.
- The vet seemed to rule out 'yeast infection' as he said that would be accompanied by a strong odor, and he would be very itchy.... which he is not.
- we have tried special shampoo (medicated), that did not seem to help
- Could it be allergies of some sort? I have found very little info online with photos that look like these. (other situations seem to be fleas, etc.)
We do have a special carpet in our living room, called RHINO carpet, which has a special 'fiber coating' on it, which makes it stain resistant. Perhaps a contact allergy to the carpet? Has anyone else experienced this?
So... here's where it gets more interesting. In a bad way.
We rescued Little 'Lewey' (rat Terrier) 1 1/2 years ago... and he had a LOT of hair (neck underbelly) when we first got em. But several months after rescuing him, he seems to get really RED. And had some hairloss... which has seemed to SLOWLY grow back.
Please see photos.
And he also has some of these 'black specks'... especially in his hind 'armpits'. Perhaps it is their 'food'?
Dewey has also had these black specks at one point, but they went away. and has has not had them since.