New here, but hopeful to get some help with this lingering issue. Thank you for this awesome community!
Age: 3 years
Sex/Neuter status: Male/Neutered
Breed: Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) - pure
Body weight: 52lbs History:
Purchased from a heeler breeder at 8wks old. Has been healthy and happy. No major issues with health or immune system. Prior health issues - possible hypertrophic osteodystrophy as a puppy, took to vet, stayed one night on IV, changed protein levels in diet, returned to full health quickly. Had a fungal lip infection at around 1.5yrs old, used facial wipes prescribed by vet and cleaned eating/drinking bowls regularly, resolved within weeks. Clinical signs:
White scab like skin issue in his right nostril. Dog does not seem too concerned about it (not pawing at it). He is however shaking his head more often as if something is bugging him, but does not seem to be specifically going for his right nostril. Has no impact on him playing at the beach, going into the water, etc. No increased discharge (snot or otherwise). That said, he seems to have a pretty high pain tolerance, so not going off of his signals. Duration:
First noticed small white mark inside of his nose at the end of February. Took to vet after it grew in size. Have had two vet visits now (third tomorrow). Been told just to wait it out and try supplements. Vet recommended vitamin E (400iu) and Niacinamide (500mg) daily, he's been on these meds for over a month with no improvement. scab has increased in size, both in width and length. The scab will dry out while he is inactive and become wet/whiteish again when active. Notes:
The dog is very active and started going to the beach regularly just before we noticed the initial spot in his nostril. He now goes to the beach every day (we moved). He usually gets very sandy (face/body) and almost always goes into the water. For about two weeks we have tried to make sure he doesn't get so much sand on him/face, and we try our best to not allow him to go in the water everyday (still 1-2 times per week). This does not seem to be helping. Prior to beach life he played daily in dirt/grass, just less sand/irritants. General location:
San Francisco Bay Area Image of nose: https://imgur.com/a/nUnrWkj Thoughts:
Vet has no recommendation for us other than to wait it out and see what happens, they have made no suggestions on what it could be. We tried the supplements listed above, but they don't seem to be doing anything (scab area continues to grow slowly). The vet did offer a biopsy, but we are not sure if that is the right immediate next step. We've read online about a ton of rhinitis and sinusitis issues, but nothing seems to point in any particular direction. We are hopeful that it is not a cancer/tumor (polyps), or a fungal infection (aspergillosis).
Any feedback, suggestions or thoughts would be sincerely appreciated. Like everyone on this forum, we love our dog so much. At this point it's almost been two months without resolution, we refuse to continue to simply wait, we fear it becoming a larger issue.