Halti issues.

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Gear and Supplies

Halti issues.

This is a discussion on Halti issues. within the Dog Gear and Supplies forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; I've been using a halti with a collar security clip plus a harness as our Boxer cross pulls and is very very strong! I put ...

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By leashedForLife
  • 1 Post By leashedForLife

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 AM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Halti issues.

I've been using a halti with a collar security clip plus a harness as our Boxer cross pulls and is very very strong! I put one lead on the halti and a second on the harness so that I'm only putting pressure on the halti when I absolutely have to.

She pulls a lot less and our walks are much more enjoyable. Plus I feel in control if ever there is trouble (she is very tense around other dogs). The only thing is that I feel like the Halti rides up and presses very close to her eyes. She has a very long, almost roman nose (despite her boxer-body and character) and I'm sure that the Halti is sized correctly for her. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows of a better style of headcollar?
mayamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 PM
  #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston metro-area, USA
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Might we have a photo, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamoo View Post

I've been using a Halti with a collar security clip, plus a harness - as our Boxer cross pulls, and is very very strong!
I put one lead on the Halti and a second on the harness, so that I only put pressure on the Halti when I absolutely must.

.

I'm presuming the leash on the harness attaches at her chest? -
[vs clipping to the conventional D-ring, usually behind the ribs, or above the dog's shoulders?]

Front-clip harnesses are great, i love 'em - they're immediate use, no habituation needed, & anyone can use them well SO LONG AS they keep their hands low, & wrists / elbows reasonably straight.
If U use a front-clip harness & go chicken-winged, bending at both wrists & elbows, U immediately give up all that wonderful body-mechanics advantage, & U'd need to be a body-builder with a Mr Universe upper-body to compensate for the terrible blow to yer leverage.

Another big help - the harness' brand-name doesn't matter.
Any decent Y-harness will work, so long as the hardware goes nowhere near the dog's tender armpits, & it fits snugly & smooth to the body; it shouldn't slip forward & back, nor to the side [around the dog's torso] when the girth is tugged on.


Front-clip harnesses improve body-mechanics for the handler, while sharply decreasing the dog's leverage.
The dog's momentum & thrust is redirected into an arc, rather than the straight-ahead pull of the dog's intention - & all this with minimal force exerted on the dog, & minimal work exerted by the handler. :woot:
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamoo View Post

...
She pulls a lot less and our walks are much more enjoyable.
Plus, I feel in control if ever there is trouble (she's very tense around other dogs).

[My only concern is] the Halti, [I feel that it] rides up & presses very close to her eyes. She has a very long, almost Roman nose (despite her boxer-body and character)... I'm sure that the Halti is sized correctly for her.

Does anyone else have this issue, or know of a better headcollar style?
.


Could U possibly take a photo from the side, of Ur dog's face while wearing the Halti?
Then we might be able to see the issue, & make suggestions.

thanks in advance, & welcome to the forum,
- terry

.
mayamoo likes this.
leashedForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:26 AM
  #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leashedForLife View Post
.

I'm presuming the leash on the harness attaches at her chest? -
[vs clipping to the conventional D-ring, usually behind the ribs, or above the dog's shoulders?]

Front-clip harnesses are great, i love 'em - they're immediate use, no habituation needed, & anyone can use them well SO LONG AS they keep their hands low, & wrists / elbows reasonably straight.
If U use a front-clip harness & go chicken-winged, bending at both wrists & elbows, U immediately give up all that wonderful body-mechanics advantage, & U'd need to be a body-builder with a Mr Universe upper-body to compensate for the terrible blow to yer leverage.

Another big help - the harness' brand-name doesn't matter.
Any decent Y-harness will work, so long as the hardware goes nowhere near the dog's tender armpits, & it fits snugly & smooth to the body; it shouldn't slip forward & back, nor to the side [around the dog's torso] when the girth is tugged on.


Front-clip harnesses improve body-mechanics for the handler, while sharply decreasing the dog's leverage.
The dog's momentum & thrust is redirected into an arc, rather than the straight-ahead pull of the dog's intention - & all this with minimal force exerted on the dog, & minimal work exerted by the handler. :woot:
.

.


Could U possibly take a photo from the side, of Ur dog's face while wearing the Halti?
Then we might be able to see the issue, & make suggestions.

thanks in advance, & welcome to the forum,
- terry

.
Hi again Terry,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions! Yes, I was thinking of taking a photo of her with the Halti on. I feel like it's only just tight enough round her neck so that she couldn't easily pull it over her head, but it seems to slip back and squeeze under her eyes if she pulls on it. Though any smaller and it wouldn't fit on her big head! We don't have a front clip harness but your response has convinced me to order one. Maya is a strange-shaped dog and I had a really hard time finding a harness to fit her here (we live in rural France so have less choices) I will have to order online.
mayamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-14-2018, 10:05 AM
  #4
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston metro-area, USA
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Y-harness, any brand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamoo View Post
Hi again Terry,

... We don't have a front clip harness but your response has convinced me to order one.

Maya is a strange-shaped dog and I had a really hard time finding a harness to fit her here (we live in rural France so have less choices) I will have to order online.
.

Any Y-harness, with a Y-shaped junction on the chest where the shoulder-straps JOIN the strap coming forward between the forelegs from the girth, will work. // U don't need a specialty "front clip' harness, with a high price.

Look for any model that has:
- box stitching at all the strap intersections, for durability & to prevent twists, rolls, & sliding around
- at least FOUR & preferably FIVE adjustable buckles / slides, to fiddle it for a perfect snug, smooth fit
- straps at least 3/4-inch wide, but 5/8-inch or 1-inch is even better!


Here's a good one:
https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Suref.../dp/B00273JJ50

5 adjustments, metal slides, large sturdy nylon buckles.

- terry

.
mayamoo likes this.
leashedForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halti Opinions? lizzy275 General Dog Discussion 2 11-18-2016 04:22 PM
How to teach a dog to respect other dogs, and barking issues Ems Dog Training and Behavior 3 10-26-2016 11:25 AM
Our rescue seems untrainable- Has severe emotional issues PTSDog Dog Training and Behavior 14 09-26-2016 02:42 PM
2 Dogs with Behavioral Issues - what would you do? storms226 Dog Training and Behavior 6 07-27-2016 06:02 PM
anal gland issues aclarino Dog Health 5 11-20-2015 08:09 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.