Ugh we've tossed this around the dinner table a few times even though its pretty far in the future and its a gut wrencher.
On one hand Leia is turning out incredibly good looking and it almost seems like we should. Filas, like other 'exotic' breeds have suffered brutally in the last couple decades from poor breeding and, not to brag, but compared to other puppies she just looks so much truer. Her breeder has been following her through our face books and has hinted at the idea and even offered to help us pick a stud and to coach us through the process. Aaaannnd, I wouldn't at all mind another puppy in a few years (she's not even 1, if we did it it'd probably be at 3 or 4 years old).
On the other hand I don't really want to deal with pregnancy. I hate the thought of the health risks to her.
In the middle is the whole financial aspect. Her breeder said a stud fee might be around USD 2000. Vet care. Sweat equity on our parts. Puppies could go for about 2.5-3 each. Litters could be up to 10 but average 6 and the breed has a lot of still births and Leia was only one of 4. A puppy with defects would have to be adopted out (although I'm starting to fear that the thing nobody is talking about is euthanasia). It could make a little money and give us a new puppy or it could run a loss and our baby could die in labor.
Thankfully in our case it's 2 years out so it's just chatter at the moment, but I can certainly understand why some would agonize over the decision. It certainly would be an easier one if the dog in question was a male.
We talk about breeding Simba sometimes since he's beautiful and a stellar example of a lab, but he doesn't have papers and the world is swimming in Labs so in the end he's fated to loose his balls in a couple months.