I've been looking up working dogs to find a good breed for my future situation. I am hoping to get some opinions from people that know/own the ones I'm looking at.
The dog MUST:
1. Be able/willing to pull heavy loads/me long distances in various weather conditions including deep snow.
2. A good watchdog with the ability to scare large predators until I get my gun.
3. If not a livestock dog than one who can be trained to ignore many small prey animals.
4. An independent, standoffish personality.
5. Not drooly
6. Not insanely big (100+ lbs)
7. Average lifespan of at least 10+ years.
I haven't found one
breed that satisfies all of those but the breeds I'm considering so far are: Anatolian Shepherd, the Bernese Mountain Dog and its cousins, Samoyed, Akita, Leonberger.
I am basically needing a dog that will guard, if not livestock, than the property against large predators. Warning me of strangers or something suspicious. Pulling water, firewood and hay in a cart when needed, and me for long trips or weather that using a bike would be ill-advised.
Since I have such a small space to work in I need to multi purpose the animals as much as possible. It seems goats are not the best cart animals (sad face) and even a Mini Horse is too space consuming.