Looking for the perfect companion!

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Training and Behavior > Puppy Help

Looking for the perfect companion!

This is a discussion on Looking for the perfect companion! within the Puppy Help forums, part of the Dog Training and Behavior category; Hi folks, sorry I am a first time poster here. But recently I just decided to become a dog owner. I am a 26 year ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for the perfect companion!

Hi folks, sorry I am a first time poster here. But recently I just decided to become a dog owner.
I am a 26 year old man, working full time living in San Leandro, CA with an older brother, a sister in law and a 2 year old nephew.

Ive never really owned a dog before but I have been around them through out my entire life.
This may be alot to ask but hell why not. What better way to find that perfect companion than to post in a dog forum website.

Ok here it goes. I live with a 2 year old nephew and my sister in law is a clean freak. So excess shedding would be an issue. Thankfully we have a house full of hardwood flors and tiles so it shouldnt be that big of a problem.
He/She must be indoor friendly and child friendly. I am not sure what type of breeds is perfect. so they cant be to rowdy! not to mention my brother gets annoyed easily.
I want a small dog, probably the same size as a jack russle. nothing to small like a chihuahua.

I've always wanted a jack russle but their energetic nature might be a problem. I need something a bit more timid for me and the family. I also dont know weather a male or female would matter. Female dogs have their menstrual phases and male dogs get a bit to rowdy is that right?

so please, if you have the time help me out! Thanks in advance.

-Wants to avoid excess shedding
-indoor/child friendly
-timid
-small
-Male or female?
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
  #2
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
kmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 9,107
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I highly recommend going to your local shelter and letting them know what you are looking for (low shedding, kid friendly, small size).
Honestly I would stay away from most terriers. They are typically very high energy and also have a lot of drive. They are very often not a good fit for very young children or first time owners.
Breeds such as Poodles, Bichons, and their mixes are probably going to be a much better fit.
Oh! And as far as male vs female, I wouldn't worry to much about it! Just look for a dog that fits your lifestyle.
As long as you have a female dog spayed (and dogs adopted from a shelter will be spayed/neutered before coming home in most cases) then you won't have to deal with heat cycles. And both males and females can be rowdy (assuming you mean high energy or excitable). That is really more of a temperament/personality trait!

Last edited by kmes; 02-10-2011 at 01:51 PM.
kmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Abluedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This in no way should be the sole way you select your dog, but its kinda fun to do and may help you start your research

Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector
Abluedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
  #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
kmes, I should. I know i should go to the local dog shelter and find that one dog that fits my criteria. I understand there are always some dogs that dont act like their nature.

however, the poodles and bichons seems to be a little furry. Also, i forgot to mention. I jog 6 miles a week. I also need a dog that wouldnt mind joining me.


Abluedog: Ill check that out. thx!
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abluedog View Post
This in no way should be the sole way you select your dog, but its kinda fun to do and may help you start your research

Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector
That test was fun. My results were

Boston Terrier 99% French Bulldog 99% Chihuahua 98% Dachshund (Standard) 98% Dachsund (Miniature) 98% Italian Greyhound 98% Pug 98% Tibetan Spaniel 98%



[edit] actually there are 56 results. kinda crazy.

Last edited by Jayman; 02-10-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
seebrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,028
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll also just mention that chihuahuas come in all sizes, as large as JRTs. I think you are probably used to seeing teacup/purse size chihuahuas from TV.
seebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM
  #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seebrown View Post
I'll also just mention that chihuahuas come in all sizes, as large as JRTs. I think you are probably used to seeing teacup/purse size chihuahuas from TV.
thats correct.. thanks for the info


=============================================


Anyways, I think I just need to go down a local adoption center and see if a pup catches my attention.
I live in San Leandro, ca 94579. Is there anyone nearby that can recommend such a place?
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM
  #8
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
kmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 9,107
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would try petfinder.com
Pet Search Results: Adoptable Dog Pets in San Leandro, CA: Petfinder
Maybe checkout Chela (schnauzer mix). Schnauzers do not shed much and normally are active dogs. She sounds very sweet and is also about the size you are looking for. If she has the right energy level and is good with kids, she could be a good fit!

And just so you know...
If you do decide to go with a brachycephalic (flat faced) breed you are going to have to be very careful in hot weather. They are more likely to suffer from heat stroke than other breeds!
Really think about energy level! If you go jogging 6 miles each day then you would want a higher energy dog, but if you go jogging 1 mile a day, 6 days a week (totaling 6 miles), then you probably want something more in the middle range. Most dogs in the middle range would be able to keep up and be content with a 1 mile jog, but also be fine with an occasional day off. For many of the really high energy dogs (at least what I personally have experienced), 1 mile a day is not enough nor will you get a day off! Just something to think about!
Oh! And even though poodles and bichons may look furry, it is because of that curly hair type coat that they shed so little!

Last edited by kmes; 02-11-2011 at 07:53 AM.
kmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
  #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmes View Post
I would try petfinder.com
Pet Search Results: Adoptable Dog Pets in San Leandro, CA: Petfinder
Maybe checkout Chela (schnauzer mix). Schnauzers do not shed much and normally are active dogs. She sounds very sweet and is also about the size you are looking for. If she has the right energy level and is good with kids, she could be a good fit!

And just so you know...
If you do decide to go with a brachycephalic (flat faced) breed you are going to have to be very careful in hot weather. They are more likely to suffer from heat stroke than other breeds!
Really think about energy level! If you go jogging 6 miles each day then you would want a higher energy dog, but if you go jogging 1 mile a day, 6 days a week (totaling 6 miles), then you probably want something more in the middle range. Most dogs in the middle range would be able to keep up and be content with a 1 mile jog, but also be fine with an occasional day off. For many of the really high energy dogs (at least what I personally have experienced), 1 mile a day is not enough nor will you get a day off! Just something to think about!
Oh! And even though poodles and bichons may look furry, it is because of that curly hair type coat that they shed so little!
I appreciate all that info. I feel like im a step closer now. The weekend should be a good time to check out my future buddy.

fyi: I jog 6 miles a week, not a day! lol. about 3 times a week doing 2 miles per run. But thanks for the heads up about the heat stroke.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM
  #10
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
kmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 9,107
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good luck!!! And don't be disappointed if you don't find the perfect match right away. Sometimes it takes awhile but it is worth the wait!
When you do choose a dog you have to let us know and of course share some photos!
kmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My perfect Gypsy Mese Dog Pictures and Videos 4 02-02-2011 09:36 AM
making my dog a companion/service dog?? enzotheschnauzer General Dog Discussion 35 01-12-2011 11:28 PM
The perfect picture Mese Dog Pictures and Videos 6 01-02-2011 09:46 PM
Find the perfect dog/pet! BuddytheBoxerMix New Additions 1 05-31-2010 01:49 PM
Will my dog miss her companion rhopper General Dog Discussion 5 05-22-2009 08:37 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.