Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog's Nail Cut Too Short (bleeding)

9K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  GreatDaneMom 
#1 ·
I was down to the last nail to be cut and would you know it; I cut off too much and could not stop the bleeding. I used styptic powder and it did not work. So off to the vet to get treated. They advised me that next time this happens, try flour. So I will remember that.
So my questions are:
1. Does the Quick recede soon after trimming the nails?
2. What is the normal length of the Quick in relation to the length of the nail?

#2 · (Edited)
So sorry my iphone sent that before i was flnished!

Flour does work, it's been a life saver when my dog has caught his nail and ripped it off!

The quick does recede the more the nail is trimmed, it is hard to say what the normal length of the quick is in relation to the nail as it does differ; if the nails are left untrimmed for a while for example, the quick will grow further and further down.

Generally speaking the part where nail gets thicker, and begins to curl is where the quick should stop. But does vary, so it's best to snip little bits at a time from the ends if you are unsure. Cutting a quick can really hurt and therefore put a dog off letting you handle their paws again so best to be overly cautious at times!

#3 ·
Where the quick is can vary from dog to dog, you're best bet to avoid it is to trim a little of the nail off wait a week then trim a little more until you get them to the desired length. You can also use a dramel to file them back.

The way you can tell you are getting ready to hit the quick it that the part of the nail you trim off will have a dot of white in it, or if using the dramel you'd file till you see a bit of white.

With the dramel you have to be careful not to leave it on the nail to long since it will heat the nail up causing the dog pain.

#4 ·
^^ what ScruffyChops said :)
Also, I have never used it before but I have heard black pepper stops nail bleeds as well...I wouldn't put it on a flesh wound, obviously, but it's apparently good for blood clotting nails.

#6 ·
Thanks All,
I'll make sure I have small containers set aside for flour and cornstarch. I use both a dremel tool and a Miller's Forge. I will be more careful when using the Miller's. The Miller's Forge gets the job done much sooner. It's good to know that the Quick recedes the more the nail is trimmed.

#9 ·
i use the millars forage clippers, they are great long lasting but sharp. after many practice attempts on my dog i have mastered them. I have learned how to take little slivers of nail at a time, making me much more efficient. one of the biggest factors about hitting the quick is to remain calm. we all know that dogs can feed off your energy, so if you panic or someone in the room panics, it heightens the chance of dog freaking out and that can be messy. I have different methods i use for different dogs, but my general rule of thumb is always cut ahead of where you think you should. i have noticed on some breeds the quick seems to stay long. Pitbulls, dobermans, pugs and bulldogs are some of them.

#11 ·
When I accidentally cut a nail to short, I will always give my dog a treat or something to snack on while I’m treating the nail to calm him down. Because I cut quickly and my dogs have long hair on their paws, I often have a difficult time judging which one is bleeding, as I normally don’t see the blood until I’m done. A few times my dogs have had injuries to their nails during exercise or play. Styptic powder has always worked for me. You will want to check the nail 30 minutes after applying the styptic powder. Styptic powder is an antihemorrhagic. If your dog has light colored nails, you can see the quick.

#15 ·
How Important is Cutting Your Dog's Nails Really? - YouTube
This video shows a really good way to get the quick to receed quickly. With Ratchet, I was doing his nails every three days and couldn't get the quick back, but managed with this technique after the three weeks.
Okay, I loved this video. Koda tends to trim her nails too far because she runs on the sidewalk when she's not supposed to, but now that it's winter they're actually growing and I didn't realize how terrible I was at cutting nails. THANK YOU.

#13 ·
Black nails

I know exactly your issue. My puppy (7mo old) has black nails and I'm terrified to trim them. I normally have my groomer do them but since I am letting his coat grow out there hadn't been a need for him to go. Tonight it was time to get the clippers out. I take deep breaths and take just a bit off the end as I'm terrified I will go too short. He goes to the vet Monday so I am gonna ask how much they charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.