08-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sunny south florida
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rehoming the adopted
I have a friend who is really struggling with her counter surfing, high energy rescue dog, she adopted her from the same animal control I got banner from... She is a sweet heart but also a real handful, they have decided after almost 6 mos to rehome her. I have no doubt with a ton of training and reinforcement she would be a great dog
it makes my heart sad.... If I could take her I would, even if just to rehabilitate her. They really just haven't taken the time to do so themselves. They have three young boys who will, without a doubt be devastated too.. It's their first family dog. She's a beagle with her nose to the floor 24/7 if she isnt running, early on they had plans to send her away for training but the $ it costs is more than they want to spend. She has expressed jealousy about how "good" banner is and how "not good" her dog is
I want to be supportive but frankly, the reason banner is "good" is because were constantly working with him, he's a member of the family, he goes most places with us (most places allow dogs) and he is a lower energy dog to boot, she's not "good" is because she spends 75% of her day in the crate (when they arent home, eating meals because she steals the kids food, exc) the other 25% tied to a zip line on their patio.. She is taken on daily several mile runs/walks but she has never ending energy.. I've never seen her tired, truthfully. I'd love to see her on a ranch/stable with acres to run and play!!. She's around a year too which I'm sure contributes to her high energy.... How do you deal with your friends wanting to rehome their pets when the going gets rough? She's not the first who is currently and actively trying to find a home for their pet... School is getting ready to start again which I know is an added stress.
Last edited by Adee; 08-14-2013 at 11:01 PM.