Help...my dogs are out of control

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Training and Behavior

Help...my dogs are out of control

This is a discussion on Help...my dogs are out of control within the Dog Training and Behavior forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; I have 2 dogs that I adore. But I don't know how to be the 'pack leader' and as a result...they are taking over my ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 PM
  #1
ABS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help...my dogs are out of control

I have 2 dogs that I adore. But I don't know how to be the 'pack leader' and as a result...they are taking over my life.

Let me share a few challenges:

1) Pumpkin is 10-12 years old. Sometimes she has accidents inside the house. They are rare but they do happen. I don't mind this. I'd rather it not happen...but I understand...she is an old dog.

2) Now Bess has started having accidents in the house. She is just 4 years old. We have had her for about 9 months. She just started having accidents the past 3 months.

I don't understand it.
I've started going outside with her and giving her a special treat when she relieves herself. We are one a 'bathroom' schedule. Things have improved but she still has accidents.

3) I wash the dogs' pads and bedding so often that the inside of our washing machine has fur and grime in it. Any idea how to clean the tub of a washing machine?

4) Bess has a lot of energy and I like to take her for nice longs walks. But she stops in the middle of a walk and refuses to move. This usually happens when she wants to go left and I want to go right. To be honest...I think she is stubborn. I have to pick her up and carry her. This is making me crazy. I have torn rotator cuff and really can't pick her up. She also pulls on the leash and drags me behind her.

5) If they are inside...they want to go outside.
If they are outside...they want to come inside.
It's hard to get things done around the house because

they always want to come or go.

6) Pumpkin eats poo. I'm sorry. I know that is beyond gross. But she does...and I'd like her to stop this disgusting habit.

7) We are going to move to Pensacola soon and I have to spend several days a week down there. That means I have the board the dogs while I'm away. The cost of boarding is very expensive. We have already spent close to $1000 this summer on boarding.

8) We would like to rent a condo in Pensacola but most refuse to rent to owners with pets. So housing is a real challenge.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to give these dogs a good life.


Can you suggest a good book, toy, training tool, anything to help?

I know I have shared a lot. Any advice or support would be appreciated.

Thank so much.

ABS
ABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
  #2
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
fawkese1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California...in the mountains
Posts: 22,224
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
welcome to the forum

Quote:
I have 2 dogs that I adore. But I don't know how to be the 'pack leader' and as a result...they are taking over my life.

i would start by dropping the worry about being a "pack leader" humans are always in charge of the dog's resources, so you are always in charge instead try to catch the dogs doing things you like and rewarding them for it, remove rewards for behaviors you don't like and come up with management plans for everything else...
Quote:

1) Pumpkin is 10-12 years old. Sometimes she has accidents inside the house. They are rare but they do happen. I don't mind this. I'd rather it not happen...but I understand...she is an old dog.

2) Now Bess has started having accidents in the house. She is just 4 years old. We have had her for about 9 months. She just started having accidents the past 3 months.

I don't understand it.
I've started going outside with her and giving her a special treat when she relieves herself. We are one a 'bathroom' schedule. Things have improved but she still has accidents.

i would have the dogs checked for UTIs and make sure that you are thoroughly cleaning all spots in the house with an enzyme cleaner. also, make sure that you are watching them like a hawk when they are in the house and confining them to an easy clean area (like a kitchen with linoleum) when you can't.

Quote:
3) I wash the dogs' pads and bedding so often that the inside of our washing machine has fur and grime in it. Any idea how to clean the tub of a washing machine?
i don't know, maybe washing a load of old towels or rags with vinegar would help?

Quote:
4) Bess has a lot of energy and I like to take her for nice longs walks. But she stops in the middle of a walk and refuses to move.This usually happens when she wants to go left and I want to go right. To be honest...I think she is stubborn. I have to pick her up and carry her. This is making me crazy. I have torn rotator cuff and really can't pick her up. She also pulls on the leash and drags me behind her.
check out this thread to get started: http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training...-walking-1683/

Quote:
5) If they are inside...they want to go outside.
If they are outside...they want to come inside.
It's hard to get things done around the house because

they always want to come or go.
sounds like they need a bit more mental stimulation. training games and puzzle feeders are a good start for this. you might also want to watch this video:

Quote:
6) Pumpkin eats poo. I'm sorry. I know that is beyond gross. But she does...and I'd like her to stop this disgusting habit.
this is actually somewhat common and there are lots of theories as to the cause. you might want to rethink what you are feeding as diet is sometimes considered a cause. the bottom line for how to prevent it though is to clean up the poo before she gets the chance to eat it.

Quote:
7) We are going to move to Pensacola soon and I have to spend several days a week down there. That means I have the board the dogs while I'm away. The cost of boarding is very expensive. We have already spent close to $1000 this summer on boarding.

8) We would like to rent a condo in Pensacola but most refuse to rent to owners with pets. So housing is a real challenge.
not sure what you are looking for here?

Quote:
I am willing to do whatever it takes to give these dogs a good life.

Can you suggest a good book, toy, training tool, anything to help?

I know I have shared a lot. Any advice or support would be appreciated.

Thank so much.

ABS
for books, i recommend "how to behave so your dog behaves" by sophia yin
for toys i recommend kong toys, puzzle feeders and a flirt pole.
for training tools, i recommend clicker training, you might also get some good tips in this thread
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training...rticles-11426/
best of luck
fawkese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 AM
  #3
Junior Member
 
caninevideos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Thailand
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The pooing and peeing in the house, I know it sounds bad but if they do it give the a wack on the backside (not so hard!) and actually put their face in it then take them to where they should go I know it sounds horrible but they do learn very quickly and if you see them going where you want them to, reward them.

As for the walks, are you going the same route all the time? Try walking the opposite way or a different place, also when walking I tend to make my dog stop tell him to sit give him a treat wait for him to finish then tell him to come, he will start realizing who should the one in charge of stopping and starting
caninevideos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM
  #4
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
fawkese1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California...in the mountains
Posts: 22,224
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caninevideos View Post
The pooing and peeing in the house, I know it sounds bad but if they do it give the a wack on the backside (not so hard!) and actually put their face in it then take them to where they should go I know it sounds horrible but they do learn very quickly and if you see them going where you want them to, reward them.
this type of advice is not allowed on the forum not only is it cruel, it is very ineffective.
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-behavior...-posting-2868/

Quote:
many methods can be considered abusive, and are so aversive that we feel as a team they are not safe to recommend over the internet. The Dog forum team reserves the right to make a judgement call as to what they feel is harmful advice. Physically aversive methods should only be used under strict direction of a professional in real life and not recommended on an internet forum
you and your dogs could benefit greatly if you read this:
http://www.dogforum.com/housebreakin...-how-tos-2135/
fawkese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:52 PM
  #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawkese1 View Post
this type of advice is not allowed on the forum not only is it cruel, it is very ineffective.
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-behavior...-posting-2868/



you and your dogs could benefit greatly if you read this:
http://www.dogforum.com/housebreakin...-how-tos-2135/
Fawkese1.... you have said it all...
dogsbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:03 PM
  #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS View Post
I have 2 dogs that I adore. But I don't know how to be the 'pack leader' and as a result...they are taking over my life.

Let me share a few challenges:

1) Pumpkin is 10-12 years old. Sometimes she has accidents inside the house. They are rare but they do happen. I don't mind this. I'd rather it not happen...but I understand...she is an old dog.

2) Now Bess has started having accidents in the house. She is just 4 years old. We have had her for about 9 months. She just started having accidents the past 3 months.

I don't understand it.
I've started going outside with her and giving her a special treat when she relieves herself. We are one a 'bathroom' schedule. Things have improved but she still has accidents.

3) I wash the dogs' pads and bedding so often that the inside of our washing machine has fur and grime in it. Any idea how to clean the tub of a washing machine?

4) Bess has a lot of energy and I like to take her for nice longs walks. But she stops in the middle of a walk and refuses to move. This usually happens when she wants to go left and I want to go right. To be honest...I think she is stubborn. I have to pick her up and carry her. This is making me crazy. I have torn rotator cuff and really can't pick her up. She also pulls on the leash and drags me behind her.

5) If they are inside...they want to go outside.
If they are outside...they want to come inside.
It's hard to get things done around the house because

they always want to come or go.

6) Pumpkin eats poo. I'm sorry. I know that is beyond gross. But she does...and I'd like her to stop this disgusting habit.

7) We are going to move to Pensacola soon and I have to spend several days a week down there. That means I have the board the dogs while I'm away. The cost of boarding is very expensive. We have already spent close to $1000 this summer on boarding.

8) We would like to rent a condo in Pensacola but most refuse to rent to owners with pets. So housing is a real challenge.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to give these dogs a good life.


Can you suggest a good book, toy, training tool, anything to help?

I know I have shared a lot. Any advice or support would be appreciated.

Thank so much.

ABS
Hi ABS.... how are your lovely dogs doing now? has there been any improvement so far? i can imagine how you go through the challenge of making your dogs happy and healthy as well...

how about your washing machine? clean now?...if not, a little suggestion here...
  1. Exterior
    Wipe down the exterior of the washing machine with vinegar or your favorite all-purpose cleaner.
  2. Tub
    Pour two cups of vinegar or lemon juice into the tub, and run the washing machine through a complete cycle on the hottest setting to remove odors, stains and detergent build up.
  3. Lid/Door
    Scrub around the edge of the lid/door with vinegar to remove mildew and detergent build up.
  4. Bleach and Fabric Softener Dispensers
    Remove the bleach and fabric softener dispensers, and scrub them in the sink. Then, dry them thoroughly and return them to the machine.


have a great time....

Last edited by fawkese1; 10-02-2011 at 01:06 PM.
dogsbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my dogs aggression has spiralled out of control TillyTots5 Dog Training and Behavior 39 07-03-2011 12:20 AM
Why Do PPL Call Animal Control On Dogs But Not Cats ?! FluffyPanda General Dog Discussion 16 04-28-2010 11:38 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.