welcome to the forum
I have 2 dogs that I adore. But I don't know how to be the 'pack leader' and as a result...they are taking over my life.
i would start by dropping the worry about being a "pack leader" humans are always in charge of the dog's resources, so you are always in charge
instead try to catch the dogs doing things you like and rewarding them for it, remove rewards for behaviors you don't like and come up with management plans for everything else...
1) Pumpkin is 10-12 years old. Sometimes she has accidents inside the house. They are rare but they do happen. I don't mind this. I'd rather it not happen...but I understand...she is an old dog.
2) Now Bess has started having accidents in the house. She is just 4 years old. We have had her for about 9 months. She just started having accidents the past 3 months.
I don't understand it.
I've started going outside with her and giving her a special treat when she relieves herself. We are one a 'bathroom' schedule. Things have improved but she still has accidents.
i would have the dogs checked for UTIs and make sure that you are thoroughly cleaning all spots in the house with an enzyme cleaner. also, make sure that you are watching them like a hawk when they are in the house and confining them to an easy clean area (like a kitchen with linoleum) when you can't.
3) I wash the dogs' pads and bedding so often that the inside of our washing machine has fur and grime in it. Any idea how to clean the tub of a washing machine?
i don't know, maybe washing a load of old towels or rags with vinegar would help?
4) Bess has a lot of energy and I like to take her for nice longs walks. But she stops in the middle of a walk and refuses to move.This usually happens when she wants to go left and I want to go right. To be honest...I think she is stubborn. I have to pick her up and carry her. This is making me crazy. I have torn rotator cuff and really can't pick her up. She also pulls on the leash and drags me behind her.
check out this thread to get started: http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training...-walking-1683/
| 5) If they are inside...they want to go outside. |
If they are outside...they want to come inside.
It's hard to get things done around the house because
they always want to come or go.
sounds like they need a bit more mental stimulation. training games and puzzle feeders are a good start for this. you might also want to watch this video:
6) Pumpkin eats poo. I'm sorry. I know that is beyond gross. But she does...and I'd like her to stop this disgusting habit.
this is actually somewhat common and there are lots of theories as to the cause. you might want to rethink what you are feeding as diet is sometimes considered a cause. the bottom line for how to prevent it though is to clean up the poo before she gets the chance to eat it.
7) We are going to move to Pensacola soon and I have to spend several days a week down there. That means I have the board the dogs while I'm away. The cost of boarding is very expensive. We have already spent close to $1000 this summer on boarding. |
8) We would like to rent a condo in Pensacola but most refuse to rent to owners with pets. So housing is a real challenge.
not sure what you are looking for here?
| I am willing to do whatever it takes to give these dogs a good life. |
Can you suggest a good book, toy, training tool, anything to help?
I know I have shared a lot. Any advice or support would be appreciated.
Thank so much.
for books, i recommend "how to behave so your dog behaves" by sophia yin
for toys i recommend kong toys, puzzle feeders and a flirt pole.
for training tools, i recommend clicker training, you might also get some good tips in this thread http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training...rticles-11426/
best of luck