My dog's back legs are weak (suddenly)

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

My dog's back legs are weak (suddenly)

This is a discussion on My dog's back legs are weak (suddenly) within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Over the last month, our redbone coonhound (almost 9 yrs. old) has had a sudden and progressive weakening of her hind end. She is a ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My dog's back legs are weak (suddenly)

Over the last month, our redbone coonhound (almost 9 yrs. old) has had a sudden and progressive weakening of her hind end. She is a healthy dog (beside the ear and skin issues that are apparently common with the breed) and is 65 pounds.

About 4 weeks ago we noticed that she was a little slower standing up. This quickly progressed to being very slow to get up, and being even lazier (she is a hound). Over the past two weeks, we've had to start helping her up, and now we need to hold her for 30 seconds after picking up her hind end until she gets "stable", and I carry her up and down the stairs. Once she is up and walking for a minute or two, she is a little better, but if her bumbling brother bumps into her, her back legs sometimes just collapse. She has not lost her appetite, she is peeing and pooping as normal, and her attitude is about the same. We even were able to get her to go on a short walk a couple times, and she seemed to be ok.

We took her to a vet, and they did some bloodwork - which turned out normal. We have an appointment with a doggy neurologist next week, and we just started her on meloxicam today. We had her on a different anti-inflamatory last week, and it seemed to help a little.
Just looking for a possible answer that doesn't involve us dealing with the fact that we probably can't afford to pay for an MRI + spinal surgery (which is what the vet was suspecting).

any advise is appreciated.
boyle163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 AM
  #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cold Tundra
Posts: 5,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tough situation. Did the vet say she is painful? I assume so since she's on the meloxicam, but there is a chance she is not painful.

There is not much else you can do besides the neuro consult with MRI and possibly surgery. There is an every-so-slight chance that it is not a slipped disk in need of surgery and that she threw an embolus, but it does not sound like it and only crate rest would be warranted (and may not fix it). The could try to give her a compound called PEG, which may help if she threw an embolus but is no guarantee. She may also have a degenerative process that you can't do anything about.

While I throw out these suggestions to you, I truly believe your only option is an MRI and even a spinal tap for CSF fluid to make sure it's not infectious.

You could apply for care credit to help with the cost: CareCredit Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures

I'm sorry I can't give you any better news.

Please make sure you tell the neurologist that she's been on NSAIDs so that steroids are not prescribed or prescribed appropriately.

Good Luck.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
  #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyle163 View Post
Over the last month, our redbone coonhound (almost 9 yrs. old) has had a sudden and progressive weakening of her hind end. She is a healthy dog (beside the ear and skin issues that are apparently common with the breed) and is 65 pounds.

About 4 weeks ago we noticed that she was a little slower standing up. This quickly progressed to being very slow to get up, and being even lazier (she is a hound). Over the past two weeks, we've had to start helping her up, and now we need to hold her for 30 seconds after picking up her hind end until she gets "stable", and I carry her up and down the stairs. Once she is up and walking for a minute or two, she is a little better, but if her bumbling brother bumps into her, her back legs sometimes just collapse. She has not lost her appetite, she is peeing and pooping as normal, and her attitude is about the same. We even were able to get her to go on a short walk a couple times, and she seemed to be ok.

We took her to a vet, and they did some bloodwork - which turned out normal. We have an appointment with a doggy neurologist next week, and we just started her on meloxicam today. We had her on a different anti-inflamatory last week, and it seemed to help a little.
Just looking for a possible answer that doesn't involve us dealing with the fact that we probably can't afford to pay for an MRI + spinal surgery (which is what the vet was suspecting).

any advise is appreciated.
Redbone coonhound are known to get hip dysplasia . I am sorry to hear your beautiful is not good well.
Ilovedogs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM
  #4
Junior Member
 
sherlyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
my 7 year old mix have that leg weakness before.. his is much worse, his bag legs collapsed and paralyzed. Then 3-4days after that his front legs lost its use. Its heartbreaking to see him that way. I just can't afford to take him to the vet(we don't have a lot of Qualified and trusted Vet Clinics here in our country). I just painstakingly massage all his legs and sponge bath him. Fortunately and with some miracle he gain both use of his legs although his back legs still have some mild stiffness..

Hope that you're baby will get well soon.
sherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:43 PM
  #5
Meg
Junior Member
 
Meg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This sounds a little like what I went through with my last dog. I lost my seven and a half year old Great Dane to Degenerative Myelopathy almost three years ago, there is no cure, just pallative care. It started with hind-foot dragging (all the toenails on his back feet were worn down very closely to the skin) at about five years old. At first he was just kind of wobbly, so we just assumed he was clumbsy. Then he needed help getting up, he was making the effort but just needed a butt-boost. Once he was up, he could maintain a stiff legged walk. Eventually he had trouble controlling his bowels, then his bladder, then his back legs become completley un-useable. My vet said he wasn't in any pain (no nerve sensation-hence dog was unable to control his legs) so he was put on a huge amount of Prednisone and Robaxin, and we supplemented with milk thistle to help with inflammation. After my dane started needing a boost up, it progressed pretty quickly (about 8 months later) we had to have him put to sleep as he could not stand, control his bowels/bladder at all. It broke my heart because I knew that there was no cure or surgery that could be done to save him. I will tell you that Degenerative Myelopathy can only be diagnosed upon necropsy, so keep trying everything you can, your dog may have something else that can be treated.I'll send up a little prayer for your family and hope that your dog makes a recovery.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
  #6
Junior Member
 
sherlyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
This sounds a little like what I went through with my last dog. I lost my seven and a half year old Great Dane to Degenerative Myelopathy almost three years ago, there is no cure, just pallative care. It started with hind-foot dragging (all the toenails on his back feet were worn down very closely to the skin) at about five years old. At first he was just kind of wobbly, so we just assumed he was clumbsy. Then he needed help getting up, he was making the effort but just needed a butt-boost. Once he was up, he could maintain a stiff legged walk. Eventually he had trouble controlling his bowels, then his bladder, then his back legs become completley un-useable. My vet said he wasn't in any pain (no nerve sensation-hence dog was unable to control his legs) so he was put on a huge amount of Prednisone and Robaxin, and we supplemented with milk thistle to help with inflammation. After my dane started needing a boost up, it progressed pretty quickly (about 8 months later) we had to have him put to sleep as he could not stand, control his bowels/bladder at all. It broke my heart because I knew that there was no cure or surgery that could be done to save him. I will tell you that Degenerative Myelopathy can only be diagnosed upon necropsy, so keep trying everything you can, your dog may have something else that can be treated.I'll send up a little prayer for your family and hope that your dog makes a recovery.

i'm so sorry for your Dane.. Danes are very sweet and gentle giants. My dog is fine now, though i can still see subtle stiffness in his back legs other than that he's fine. Thank you for your concern
sherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
  #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you recently apply any tick spot on product? My pug got hind leg paralysis 24hr after advantix ii application (it is resolving now a week out). He did not have pain and still ate but was lethargic and could not move or hold any weight on back legs.
Mr B Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
  #8
Junior Member
 
sherlyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Mom View Post
Did you recently apply any tick spot on product? My pug got hind leg paralysis 24hr after advantix ii application (it is resolving now a week out). He did not have pain and still ate but was lethargic and could not move or hold any weight on back legs.
No. But now that you mentioned it. I did put some tick powder on him a week before his back legs were paralyzed. Did you bring your dog to the vet?. Better let your Vet see your pug..
sherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
  #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Advantix paralysis

I gave my healthy 6yo pug first dose of advantix ii...he developed a dry cough and some itching within 2 hrs when I washed it off (first with people shampoo, later with dish liquid). 24 hrs later he looked stiff and limped and over next few hrs developed paralysis of his back legs. This persisted over 24 hrs (crumpled when tried to stand) then slowly over days recovered almost completely now 1 week later. He still cringes when I pet him over areas where I applied the Advantix. Seen by 2 vets (1 in ER) and I called Bayer and Petsmart as well as EPA NPIC (National Pesticide Information Center)1-800-858-7378. If it is as rare as they say why do I know 2 other people who had AE's and why is there so much info online? My issue is nothing about AEs on packaging, petsmart rep said perfectly safe, and Bayer rep denies causality. Is there no informed consent when it comes to pets? Even if rare, state it! I would never have applied it. I am still waiting for Bayer to send me safety data from clinical trials (rep couldn't tell me any number/percent with this AE and stated not systemically absorbed??). What happens to post-marketing adverse event reports? Are AE's more common in breeds like pugs? (seems more reports online with pugs???)
Mr B Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM
  #10
Junior Member
 
sherlyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Mom View Post
I gave my healthy 6yo pug first dose of advantix ii...he developed a dry cough and some itching within 2 hrs when I washed it off (first with people shampoo, later with dish liquid). 24 hrs later he looked stiff and limped and over next few hrs developed paralysis of his back legs. This persisted over 24 hrs (crumpled when tried to stand) then slowly over days recovered almost completely now 1 week later. He still cringes when I pet him over areas where I applied the Advantix. Seen by 2 vets (1 in ER) and I called Bayer and Petsmart as well as EPA NPIC (National Pesticide Information Center)1-800-858-7378. If it is as rare as they say why do I know 2 other people who had AE's and why is there so much info online? My issue is nothing about AEs on packaging, petsmart rep said perfectly safe, and Bayer rep denies causality. Is there no informed consent when it comes to pets? Even if rare, state it! I would never have applied it. I am still waiting for Bayer to send me safety data from clinical trials (rep couldn't tell me any number/percent with this AE and stated not systemically absorbed??). What happens to post-marketing adverse event reports? Are AE's more common in breeds like pugs? (seems more reports online with pugs???)
hi! according to reviews that i just read.. advantix might/might not be poisonous to small dogs. Severe symptoms are rare but rare means that i did happened to other pets.. So if i were you stay away from products containing
"Permethrin" cause this chemical dissolves slowly in pets system.
sherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply

Tags
back legs collapse, hind leg weakness, hind legs collapse

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will my dog's nail grow back Maldonw Dog Health 1 10-09-2011 09:28 AM
Nipping back of legs sharley Introductions 3 05-18-2011 04:40 AM
Legs popping out of their sockets cruelas01 Dog Health 10 01-10-2011 09:07 AM
My dog walks between my legs. kalaghan Dog Training and Behavior 1 10-07-2010 10:25 PM
My dog pouncing and biting on my legs MaidenEddie Dog Training and Behavior 6 10-27-2009 09:23 AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.