Lab / Border Collie Mix -Skin problems. Itchy, smelly, dandruff

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Lab / Border Collie Mix -Skin problems. Itchy, smelly, dandruff

This is a discussion on Lab / Border Collie Mix -Skin problems. Itchy, smelly, dandruff within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Hey guys! Posting about a friend's dog here! He is a Lab / Border Collie mix, male, I think 2-3 years old? Forgot to ask! ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 PM
  #1
Senior Member
 
Shananigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lab / Border Collie Mix -Skin problems. Itchy, smelly, dandruff

Hey guys! Posting about a friend's dog here! He is a Lab / Border Collie mix, male, I think 2-3 years old? Forgot to ask! Anyways, he has the lab type of coat, they live in a humid environment. Suburb type setting. We were talking about him and my friend mentioned he is very itchy (scratching constantly), has dandruff, and also has a terrible smell (even after baths).

I suggested bathing him in oatmeal dog shampoo and looking into maybe a food that doesn't contain chicken. Although now, I'm thinking he may need to go to a grain free diet too with possibly some type of fish oil?

He doesn't seem to be targeting one spot, just generally itchy everywhere.

I've read food allergies can be accompanied with bad odor too, but the fact they live in such a warm humid environment I'm wondering if his coat may harbor something bacterial or fungus that could be going on? There are no bumps, rashes, or abrasions though!

Not sure if this is constant or seasonal, forgot to ask! I text him asking him, I will let you know as soon as I know.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what it may be? If the food doesn't start clearing it up, then he'll take him to the vet to be tested.
Shananigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:13 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Dawnben's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,069
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananigan View Post
Any suggestions or ideas as to what it may be? If the food doesn't start clearing it up, then he'll take him to the vet to be tested.
Maybe systemic yeast infection. These are some of the symptoms
Rashes - Itching -Body Odor - Smelly Ears - Reoccurring Ear & Bladder infections -Red Skin - Sores - Scabs - Shedding - Arthritis - Genital Discharge - Hotspots - Blackened skin.
I would change to a grain free limited diet like this. With yeast you want to stay away from potato this is Duck and Garbanzo Beans
L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Legume & Duck Meal Dry Dog Formula - **** Van Patten's Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
This will help you understand systemic yeast infections
Pet Allergy, Itching, Scratching, Systemic Yeast Infection in Dogs | Allergies Malassezia Fungus Candida, yeast overgrowth in dogs | GREATDANELADY.COM
Dawnben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 AM
  #3
Senior Member
 
LynneMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 5,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes food allergies can cause all kinds of different skin problems. What are they feeding now? Are they feeding any treats? It is not necessarily the grain in the food as it is the proteins. You can get lamb based food that still has chicken in it as a preservative. Always look at the first 6 ingredients, that is the bulk of the food.

Are they sure the dog has zero fleas? A dog with flea allergies will scratch like they are covered in fleas even if they only have a couple. Do they know if there are chiggers in the shrubs?
LynneMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 AM
  #4
Senior Member
 
bgmacaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The border collie we had when I was a kid had problems like you described due to an allergy to pine pollen. The vet had us try various allergy meds but nothing helped that much. Of course, this was back in the late 70's so what's available now is probably better.
bgmacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 AM
  #5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cold Tundra
Posts: 5,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Could be many things. Could be a flea allergy. Could be a food allergy. Could be an environmental allergy. There could be a secondary bacterial or yeast infection to any of the above. Hard to say.

Quote:
If the food doesn't start clearing it up
What food is he on? When was he switched? How strict are they being with the new diet?
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Shananigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry for the delayed reply guys!!! I had sent him an e-mail asking him a few questions but didn't get answers which made it hard to answer your guy's question. I missed his e-mail -oops! Just saw it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnben
Maybe systemic yeast infection. These are some of the symptoms
Rashes - Itching -Body Odor - Smelly Ears - Reoccurring Ear & Bladder infections -Red Skin - Sores - Scabs - Shedding - Arthritis - Genital Discharge - Hotspots - Blackened skin.
I would change to a grain free limited diet like this. With yeast you want to stay away from potato this is Duck and Garbanzo Beans
L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Legume & Duck Meal Dry Dog Formula - **** Van Patten's Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
This will help you understand systemic yeast infections
Pet Allergy, Itching, Scratching, Systemic Yeast Infection in Dogs | Allergies Malassezia Fungus Candida, yeast overgrowth in dogs | GREATDANELADY.COM
Thanks for the links! Very insightful! I have bookmarked this! Not sure if it's yeast though. He doesn't really show any of the other signs -skin lesions, no infections, rashes, arthritis, ect... I am keeping this though for just in case! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneMarie
Yes food allergies can cause all kinds of different skin problems. What are they feeding now? Are they feeding any treats? It is not necessarily the grain in the food as it is the proteins. You can get lamb based food that still has chicken in it as a preservative. Always look at the first 6 ingredients, that is the bulk of the food.

Are they sure the dog has zero fleas? A dog with flea allergies will scratch like they are covered in fleas even if they only have a couple. Do they know if there are chiggers in the shrubs?
He just switched to a grain-free food, (not sure what brand), will tell you in the next day or so! He said venison based, I'm assuming Taste of the Wild? Like I said I'll get the name for you! He is not fed anything else -table scraps or "dog" treats!

He has had fleas in the past (I just asked him how long ago -a waiting reply), but he is sure that he doesn't have any now. I don't think he has chiggers (asked that too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmacaw
The border collie we had when I was a kid had problems like you described due to an allergy to pine pollen. The vet had us try various allergy meds but nothing helped that much. Of course, this was back in the late 70's so what's available now is probably better.
It may be environmental, the dog is 2 1/2 years old and he just noticed this problem really coming on this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Could be many things. Could be a flea allergy. Could be a food allergy. Could be an environmental allergy. There could be a secondary bacterial or yeast infection to any of the above. Hard to say.

What food is he on? When was he switched? How strict are they being with the new diet?
Gosh, I don't know! Waiting to see what food he just switched him too! I do know he has a strict diet -no table scraps or dog biscuits.

So Far We Know...

He is 2 1/2 years old.

The problem really became noticeable this summer.

Only time he has itched in the past has been flea related (working on finding out how long ago he had fleas.)

He has just been switched to a venison based "grain-free" food. (I'll get the brand to you guys here soon.)

He doesn't have hot spots, rashes, skin lesions, or recent bladder / ear infections.

The dandruff seems to be mainly coming from his back / butt.

Doesn't really target any itchy spot in particular.

Getting a better description on the smell -assuming a yeasty type smell.


...Wondering if this could be some effect from the fleas and not a food allergy if he seems to have just developed this, this summer. Going to also do more research on hypothyroidism and flea related stuff. Can dogs develop food allergies later in life?

Thanks guys for getting back to me, I apologize for the late reply!
Shananigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 PM
  #7
Senior Member
 
Shananigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You know, I suggested using at oatmeal shampoo... however, I'm wondering if that would have an adverse effect because the smell is probably suggesting an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria on the skin. He should probably give the dog a anti-microbial bath vs. oatmeal? Oatmeal could possibly make it worse?
Shananigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 AM
  #8
Senior Member
 
LynneMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tx
Posts: 5,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananigan View Post
You know, I suggested using at oatmeal shampoo... however, I'm wondering if that would have an adverse effect because the smell is probably suggesting an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria on the skin. He should probably give the dog a anti-microbial bath vs. oatmeal? Oatmeal could possibly make it worse?
The soap is determined by the skin...If he has oily skin then the oat meal will not do much for his itch.. If it is dry skin the oatmeal might help. I have found using T-gel on the oily dander dogs helps cut down some of the oil and helps the itch. Clients notice the dog itches less for a few days. However, you still have to find the cause.
LynneMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
  #9
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cold Tundra
Posts: 5,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The key with the food is to know if he's been on a venison based food before or if this is NOVEL. I couldn't care less about the grain factor, it makes no difference to me with regards to first signs of allergies. What other foods HAS he been on throughout his life?

What flea medication is he on? How often and when is it given? When is he bathed in relation to when it is applied?

Food allergies can creep up at any time after like 6 months old. At his age, unforturtunately, you can't rule in or out food allergies vs environmental allergies vs flea allergies.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:37 PM
  #10
Senior Member
 
Shananigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
**Update!!**

He found fleas! After a thorough check he has found that the dog has fleas. This could explain everything right?! LynneMarie had mentioned fleas, but at the time we didn't think he had them.

I am now going to assume this is his problem because even just a couple fleas can reap havoc on a dog. I've heard that Border Collies are prone to having more severe reactions to fleas as well? Would fleas cause the smell? My friend describes the smell as "Heavy, think, oily, dirty dog. Real strong smell. I don't get yeasty from it." (Just got this e-mail now.)


How can my friend treat his dog for the fleas? I do not have fleas where I live, they are VERY rare. So I'm not up on flea preventative and killing measures. My Border Collie Ace had fleas when he was a puppy, had them when we got him. I took him straight to the tub for a complete flea bath and we haven't had them since.

Any house products you guys would suggest as well? He wants to make sure there is nothing left.

Thinking back it seems the dog gets itchy and dandruff after flea shampoo's, but right now he doesn't see much dandruff.

Sounds like the dog either suffers from the harsh flea shampoo or from fleas! Suggestions?

Quote:
The soap is determined by the skin...If he has oily skin then the oat meal will not do much for his itch.. If it is dry skin the oatmeal might help. I have found using T-gel on the oily dander dogs helps cut down some of the oil and helps the itch. Clients notice the dog itches less for a few days. However, you still have to find the cause.
Thank you! : ) Psst.. what is T-gel?

Quote:
The key with the food is to know if he's been on a venison based food before or if this is NOVEL. I couldn't care less about the grain factor, it makes no difference to me with regards to first signs of allergies. What other foods HAS he been on throughout his life?

What flea medication is he on? How often and when is it given? When is he bathed in relation to when it is applied?

Food allergies can creep up at any time after like 6 months old. At his age, unforturtunately, you can't rule in or out food allergies vs environmental allergies vs flea allergies.
When the itching showed up, we thought possible food allergies so he switched him to a grain-free diet. Other than that, the dog has been on your basic grocery store dog food his entire life.

I think the fleas are the entire problem here. I do not think there is a routine flea preventative. I will ask him what he has done about the fleas. (Which it is sounding like there is going to be a routine needed.)

I am going to do more research of fleas, but do you know if they can cause smell? Do you think the fleas could have weakened his skin and possible given him some time of bacterial skin infection?

Thanks guys for helping us!
Shananigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My border Collie.. Yorkshire Dog Pictures and Videos 3 07-16-2012 10:06 AM
Dog has dry itchy skin around mouth and eyes KodaBear Dog Health 12 04-01-2012 11:03 PM
Dry Skin & Itchy Spots RebelGirl Dog Grooming 12 01-15-2012 01:07 PM
How do I help GSD's itchy/dry skin? Shananigan Dog Health 7 08-06-2010 12:26 PM
Border Collie - 7 Months - Few Problems sika Dog Training and Behavior 10 05-15-2010 09:28 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.