Dog Ate Raisins - Vomited - now what?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Dog Ate Raisins - Vomited - now what?

This is a discussion on Dog Ate Raisins - Vomited - now what? within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; I took Honey out for a walk around 8:45pm (EST) tonight. On the walkway outside my apartment building someone had left a mess of trail ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 PM
  #1
Senior Member
 
cac2109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dog Ate Raisins - Vomited - now what?

I took Honey out for a walk around 8:45pm (EST) tonight. On the walkway outside my apartment building someone had left a mess of trail mix on the ground. I didn't see it at first, but of course, Honey did. She only sniffed it for a second, and may have eaten some of it (I honestly don't know it happened so fast).

I examined it, and there were definitely quite a few raisins in this mix on the ground.

I called ASPCA poison control and they helped me induce vomiting. It didn't happen right away - I had to give peroxide twice. She vomited around 9:45PM.

There were no raisins in the vomit. There was quite a bit of it. A lot of bile and foam (the peroxide?), and partially digested kibble (she ate dinner around 7PM).

ASPCA said I could either bring her to the emergency vet where they will run tests and put her on IV fluids, or I can watch and wait at my own risk.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to be unreasonable rushing in since I'm not sure if she even ate a raisin (or maybe 2 or 3, can't possibly imagine it could have been more than this). But I don't want to watch her go into kidney failure either...need help ASAP. I'm sick to my stomach over this. She is about 45lbs.
cac2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:02 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
pawzaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I personally would not freak but its up to you what to do. My dogs have eaten a few grapes before and nothing happened. Normally dogs have to eat a good amount of them for any issues.
pawzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
cac2109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you for your response. I'm trying to be rational, but I read all this stuff online and it is scaring me. I would rather avoid going to the emergency vet, and I would take her first thing in the morning to my normal vet. I just don't know what to do, because I don't want it to be too late by the time I get her in..
cac2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
elbereth32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sam has gotten a hold of raisins and grapes at various times over the years because little kids will try to share with dogs. He's about 55lbs and he's had, at most, 5-8 at a time that I know of. I watched him carefully each time, but nothing ever came of it. It's up to you about the vet, but just trying to share to set your mind at ease a bit.
elbereth32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
  #5
Senior Member
 
cac2109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it, and I realize I am probably overreacting. I have a very hard time seeing things clearly/logically with this dog, because I feel so helpless and hate the thought of watching her suffer.

I asked my sister to call her former boss/current friend (a large animal vet, but recent grad from Cornell and volunteers at a small animal shelter, so knows some stuff), and she said if it were her dog, and the dog had vomited, she wouldn't bring it to the emergency vet. She said 3 raisins is not a toxic dose in a 45 lb dog (and this is if she even ate the raisins).

It made me feel a bit better, so hopefully I can sleep for a little while. I'm going to call my vet in the morning - I have been reading horror stories, which of course makes me...horrified.

Last edited by cac2109; 07-29-2012 at 11:25 PM.
cac2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,752
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think Honey will be fine. Like the others have said it usually takes a lot of raisins for a dog to get sick off of them. If she was a toy breed, or if she had ate a whole box of them then I'd be worried.

It's sort of like dogs and chocolate. 6 or 7 M&M's won't hurt most dogs, a box of baking chocolate can kill them.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM
  #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cold Tundra
Posts: 5,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, unfortunately it's way past your initial post, but IMO I would have erred on the side of caution and taken her to the vet to be put on intravenous fluids, considering you don't know how many she may have gotten.

If she even vomits once today or doesn't eat, she should go in immediately. And, without a doubt, she should have some bloodwork and urine tests run in the next day or two to check on her kidneys.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM
  #8
Senior Member
 
cac2109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We went in last night. I wasn't sleeping anyway, so we took the trip. We got there around 1:30 AM, and they checked her kidney values (chemistry panel?), and gave her and IV over the next several hours. The kidney values were normal. They did them again at 8:30 AM, so about 12 hours after the (possible) ingestion. Once again they were fine. They finished the IV fluids and sent us home.

The vet said to offer her food, I did, and she was ravenous. I had to hand feed her to slow her down.

The vet said the worry with raisins is that they don't know what exactly causes a toxic reaction. Some dogs can eat grapes every day and be totally fine, while others get sick. She thinks that (1) since Honey threw up within an hour after maybe ingesting the raisins and appeared to empty her stomach (since a lot of bile and undigested kibble came up - and there was quite a lot of vomit), she may not have even gotten any raisins in the first place, and (2) since her kidney values looked "totally fine" at both 6 and 12 hours, there is probably nothing to worry about.

I am watching her for any unusual signs - such as vomiting, excessive thirst/urination, and lethargy, and we will go back in right away. She said if Honey is fine in 48 hours, we don't need to worry anymore, and they don't need to recheck the kidneys.

Does this seem appropriate? Should I be doing more?
cac2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM
  #9
Senior Member
 
cac2109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Also - temp is normal, she is not dehydrated, and she is acting like her normal, silly self (except wanting to eat like a cow). Her stool/urine were totally normal this morning when we took a walk around outside the hospital before coming home.
cac2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM
  #10
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cold Tundra
Posts: 5,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
The vet said the worry with raisins is that they don't know what exactly causes a toxic reaction. Some dogs can eat grapes every day and be totally fine, while others get sick.
Exactly. Same goes for onions and garlic, so I always worry like crazy over it. This is why I said to err on the side of caution.

I'm VERY glad you went in.

Since the values are find you probably don't have to recheck them... but me being paranoid, I'd probably check them in 5 or so days anyway.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Puppy vomited; seems fine otherwise. Feed dinner? Sundog Dog Health 6 07-20-2012 02:59 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.