Constipation

Go Back   Dog Forum > Keeping and Caring for Dogs > Dog Health

Constipation

This is a discussion on Constipation within the Dog Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Dogs category; Is it safe to give a dog a human stool softener? I often give my dogs pumpkin in their food, but I don't have any, ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
  #1
Junior Member
 
jaragr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Constipation

Is it safe to give a dog a human stool softener? I often give my dogs pumpkin in their food, but I don't have any, and I was hoping to do something now to give my dog relief. He's squatting like he needs to potty, but not doing anything - just wondering about the stool softener.
jaragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
  #2
Senior Member
 
pawzaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Only thing I give my dogs is pepto...but does that help with constipation? lol
pawzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Dawnben's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,117
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dont know but I just read this ( you learn something every day ) Check your food maybe all they need is more good fiber.
Almost all manufacturers use stool hardening agents in pet food.
Convenience again triumphs over pet health. Stool modifiers make clean up easier and mask the effects of nutrient malabsorption. Who's going to buy a pet food if you've got to SCRAPE up after your dog? It's easier to just stack those little bricks into a pile or kick them elsewhere. Consider however the strain on your pet's innards. Would you put concrete mix in your pancake batter? How about sawdust? If you were dieting, would you mix ground peanut shells into your breakfast cereal? Well, they do all that and more for your beloved pet. See if any of these made it into your pet food bag: sodium bentonite, powdered cellulose, beet pulp, tomato (or any other) pomace, ground peanut shells? The explanation for including these usually is that they are fiber sources for your pet's well being. Maybe a little truth there but not the real reason they are added. Whole grains provide great fiber content. A bit of bran would do well too. The real goal is to make you buy the food again because clean up time is so easy and enjoyable with brand XYZ's designer stools. Before you do this to your pet, try it yourself for a few days. One question to ask a company representative is this, "Aren't there times when my pet needs to evacuate it's system rapidly such as when a toxin is ingested or when the kitty or doggy flu comes around? Is having a cork in there at all times really a good idea? You'll then likely hear mumbling about "Our research..." and "regulating intestinal transit time for optimal nutrient absorption". Do you buy that one? If the food is good and fed properly, stools will be fine without forcing your pet to work a brick through their digestive and excretory systems.
Dawnben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
  #4
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
kmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 9,092
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Someone recently said that they gave their dog some pineapple whe he was constipated. I'm not sure that it actually works...
Perhaps someone else here knows!
kmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 PM
  #5
Senior Member
 
pawzaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
we gave pineapple to our dogs so they would stop eating each others poop lol. It may help with that I am not sure? I would definitely check your food if this is a normal occurrence. Or talk to your vet
pawzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Criosphynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Som'where between Utopia and Insomnia.
Posts: 11,482
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaragr View Post
Is it safe to give a dog a human stool softener? I often give my dogs pumpkin in their food, but I don't have any, and I was hoping to do something now to give my dog relief. He's squatting like he needs to potty, but not doing anything - just wondering about the stool softener.

I would rule out a bowel obsruction at the vet
Criosphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 PM
  #7
Dog Forum ModeraTHOR
 
kmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 9,092
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
we gave pineapple to our dogs so they would stop eating each others poop lol. It may help with that I am not sure? I would definitely check your food if this is a normal occurrence. Or talk to your vet
Haha! That must be what I was thinking of! Sorry! I guess I'm just going a bit crazy!
kmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
  #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ask your vet if you can use maalox and metamucil to see if there is a blockage. i dont remember the amounts but my pup passed a nice strip of towel haha. maalox gives gass relief and metamucil coats any undesirables and sends them on there way.
valentinosamoyeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
  #9
Senior Member
 
Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 7,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I dont know but I just read this ( you learn something every day ) Check your food maybe all they need is more good fiber.
Almost all manufacturers use stool hardening agents in pet food.
Convenience again triumphs over pet health. Stool modifiers make clean up easier and mask the effects of nutrient malabsorption. Who's going to buy a pet food if you've got to SCRAPE up after your dog? It's easier to just stack those little bricks into a pile or kick them elsewhere. Consider however the strain on your pet's innards. Would you put concrete mix in your pancake batter? How about sawdust? If you were dieting, would you mix ground peanut shells into your breakfast cereal? Well, they do all that and more for your beloved pet. See if any of these made it into your pet food bag: sodium bentonite, powdered cellulose, beet pulp, tomato (or any other) pomace, ground peanut shells? The explanation for including these usually is that they are fiber sources for your pet's well being. Maybe a little truth there but not the real reason they are added. Whole grains provide great fiber content. A bit of bran would do well too. The real goal is to make you buy the food again because clean up time is so easy and enjoyable with brand XYZ's designer stools. Before you do this to your pet, try it yourself for a few days. One question to ask a company representative is this, "Aren't there times when my pet needs to evacuate it's system rapidly such as when a toxin is ingested or when the kitty or doggy flu comes around? Is having a cork in there at all times really a good idea? You'll then likely hear mumbling about "Our research..." and "regulating intestinal transit time for optimal nutrient absorption". Do you buy that one? If the food is good and fed properly, stools will be fine without forcing your pet to work a brick through their digestive and excretory systems.
Would you mind providing some links to where you read this? Also if you could name any stool hardner? It's one thing to say their are stool hardner, named x, seen here in the ingredients; and it's quite another to make a sweeping statement that they are in dog food.
All ingredients must be listed on the bag. So please share at least a name of one hardner that can be found in dog food? I'm quite interested.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
  #10
Senior Member
 
Dawnben's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,117
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Would you mind providing some links to where you read this? Also if you could name any stool hardner? It's one thing to say their are stool hardner, named x, seen here in the ingredients; and it's quite another to make a sweeping statement that they are in dog food.
All ingredients must be listed on the bag. So please share at least a name of one hardner that can be found in dog food? I'm quite interested.
The names are in the article
these made it into your pet food bag: sodium bentonite, powdered cellulose, beet pulp, tomato (or any other) pomace, ground peanut shells? The explanation for including these usually is that they are fiber sources for your pet's well being.
this is the link but there are many out there that say the same thing I found 10 others while was trying to find this one Pet food secrets
Dawnben is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog Stairs - Dog Steps - Quality Pet Products
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.