Chesapeake Bay Retriever or Plott hound?

Go Back   Dog Forum > Other Dogforum Interests > Dog Breeds

Chesapeake Bay Retriever or Plott hound?

This is a discussion on Chesapeake Bay Retriever or Plott hound? within the Dog Breeds forums, part of the Other Dogforum Interests category; I just finished reading a thread sticky posted by Blue Pup & found a link to a test on what dog would be good for ...

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 PM
  #1
Senior Member
 
Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Chesapeake Bay Retriever or Plott hound?

I just finished reading a thread sticky posted by Blue Pup & found a link to a test on what dog would be good for you & it ask you 10 questions & then gives you the results of what it thinks is the best match for you based on these 10 questions.
Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector

By now some of you know I'm looking at Chesapeake's & then after taking this questionaire it showed two dogs that were a 100% macth for me.

& it was the two in the name of this thread.
I'm so very happy that a CBR showed up on the top of a match for me, but I know nothing about the Plott Hounds?

Can you guys give me some input on the Plott?
I've learned a lot about CBR's , but what can you tell me about Plotts?

I suppose I should learn about this dog too before I get a pup huh?

CBR info from the site: http://animal.discovery.com/breedsel...ile.do?id=1640

Plott Info from the site: http://animal.discovery.com/breedsel...ile.do?id=2600

Seems the plot is slightly smaller & healthier?

Last edited by Blanco; 02-16-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
  #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Collinsvile, IL
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
On your last post you never really said what you were looking for in your new dog.'i take it you are a hunter? Or maybe just a fisher who wants a dog for all the wonderfull things they bring into the outdoors. Plotts are an old breed hound, still used for boar, coon, and lion hunting. They are very vocal as they are a hound. Awsome dogs can be aloof at first to strangers, and do not take well to being Alone. Hard chargers in the woods and fearless. Not a water dog though. Introduce to water young and take it slow getting them used to it and he will take to it. Not like a chessie or lab but won't mind
Brianlocal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
  #3
Senior Member
 
Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianlocal3 View Post
On your last post you never really said what you were looking for in your new dog.'i take it you are a hunter? Or maybe just a fisher who wants a dog for all the wonderfull things they bring into the outdoors. Plotts are an old breed hound, still used for boar, coon, and lion hunting. They are very vocal as they are a hound. Awsome dogs can be aloof at first to strangers, and do not take well to being Alone. Hard chargers in the woods and fearless. Not a water dog though. Introduce to water young and take it slow getting them used to it and he will take to it. Not like a chessie or lab but won't mind
I am a fisherman, & I'm looking for a new best friend that will enjoy the water with me & play fetch & protect the house & enjoy doing lots of the fun things I enjoy.
I'm still leaning strongly in the direction of the CBR, but since the Plott came up as a 100% match as well & so I thought I would research what I can on them before I make the 10+ year commitment to a dog.

& from what I've read so far the Plotts are fine in the water & even have webbed feet just like the CBR, Lab & many other water type dogs.
I like the idea of a dog that could chase a bear away, being I enjoy camping.
The dog could keep the bear at bay while we pack it up to get away from there.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM
  #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Collinsvile, IL
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I see you are listed as being from L.A., and when I think of LA I Don't picture the outdoors, what is around you out there. I am curious. No ill intent meant. I currently live 13 miles outside of st. Louis and there is a ton of stuff around here to do in the outdoors, so I'm sure it is the same there it's just LA= tall buildings and concrete in my head.
Brianlocal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
  #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Collinsvile, IL
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh and not to mention the chessie is a great breed. You will not go wrong there. Myself I am a fan of labs, pits , and curs. Black mouth cur to be exact. But I don't know if you would find a breeder any where near you.
Brianlocal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
  #6
Senior Member
 
Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianlocal3 View Post
I see you are listed as being from L.A., and when I think of LA I Don't picture the outdoors, what is around you out there. I am curious. No ill intent meant. I currently live 13 miles outside of st. Louis and there is a ton of stuff around here to do in the outdoors, so I'm sure it is the same there it's just LA= tall buildings and concrete in my head.
Funny that you say that.
There's lots of people that think that about L.A.
I also big into off roading & I have met people with their poser off road rigs & I ask them where they go off roading & they say I live in L.A. where am I gonna go off roading.
Stupid people.
I hate poser wanna be off roader's that never take their their lifted 4x4's off road.
Anyways, yes trust me there are lots of places all around Los Angeles to go enjoy outdoor activities.
I actually have a couple of off road web sites I run & a local fishing site as well that I've just started.
& For regular playing fetch & stuff there's lots of parks out here, some huge some small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianlocal3 View Post
Oh and not to mention the chessie is a great breed. You will not go wrong there. Myself I am a fan of labs, pits , and curs. Black mouth cur to be exact. But I don't know if you would find a breeder any where near you.
Actually so far I have found 3 good breeders in my local area for Chessies.
& thank you for reminding me I'm gonna call the one that should have a little coming up soon right now.

Last edited by Blanco; 02-17-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
  #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Collinsvile, IL
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was referring to a cur dog breeder by you. I hope you find you new best friend
Posted via Mobile Device
Brianlocal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
  #8
Senior Member
 
Blanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianlocal3 View Post
I was referring to a cur dog breeder by you. I hope you find you new best friend
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know what a "CUR" dog is?
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
  #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Collinsvile, IL
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Posted via Mobile Device
Brianlocal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 PM
  #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Collinsvile, IL
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's a hunting dog known mostly in the south there are diff cur breeds
Posted via Mobile Device
Brianlocal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Breed Information dogsbreedinfo Dog Breeds 6 04-02-2012 09:18 PM
How many of you own Chesapeake Bay Retreivers? Blanco Dog Breeds 20 02-21-2011 04:03 PM
German short haired pointer or Chesapeake Bay Retriever? Blanco Dog Breeds 8 02-16-2011 10:03 PM
Chesapeake Bay Retriever or English Labrador Blanco Dog Breeds 6 02-11-2011 11:35 PM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.